C minor belongs to Eb major scale

Ramon L Candido
Ramon L Candido
01/10/2014 11:51 am
I've notice the C minor excercises belongs to Eb major scale, a major 6 interval. The flat E A B which is the 3rd 6 and 7th notes of the C major scale is now the 1st 4th and 5th note of Eb major scale. I think this is to accommodate the major scale intervals. What I have here is a guide to all the Keys and their signatures and I notice the flat notes of Eb major scale matches the flat notes of the C minor scale.

retired employee 2012 , widower 2015 , Three grandchildren , Study Guitar .

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2014 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: ramoncandidoI've notice the C minor excercises belongs to Eb major scale, a major 6 interval. The flat E A B which is the 3rd 6 and 7th notes of the C major scale is now the 1st 4th and 5th note of Eb major scale. I think this is to accommodate the major scale intervals. What I have here is a guide to all the Keys and their signatures and I notice the flat notes of Eb major scale matches the flat notes of the C minor scale.

Good observation! Every major scale has a relative minor scale. Conversely, every minor scale has a relative major.

The best place to learn about this is the chapter one of GF2 which covers intervals & how they are used to build scales.

I cover the concept of relative major & minor scales/key signatures in this tutorial on the circle of fifths.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=835

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.