View post (Making a Home Demo)

View thread

fretsmith
fretsmith
01/14/2014 8:38 pm
Damn. If this is your first shot at recording I would say you have a very bright future. I liked it, think you did a very good job, and think your band is real solid.

From a critical ear (hopefully this is what you mean when soliciting "honest opinions") I would say that the things you listed as - items you are working on- are exactly right. But you got a good handle on them already.

Drums. Tough one. I don't know whether it's a miking issue or a room issue but (to me ) they just aren't recording well. ( no dig on the drummer ). It's kind of like the drums are the first thing you hear in the mix. But it's not just a simple "level" matter. It's just something about how they are being recorded. I wish I could tell you exactly WHAT to do but all I can say is maybe resource some info directly related to drum recording and experiment a little bit?

To qualify my participation I admit I have limited experience with recording. However my son-in-law is a working musician and finishing up his degree in sound engineering and we talk about recording (which he is VERY passionate about) a lot and I've spent some time at the studio. He has the luxury of schooling at what is touted as the 2nd best recording studio in North America. He graduates in April and already has studio work waiting in Nashville. Pretenses aside, he's a really good guy and if you would really like advice from someone who is well qualified to critique a recording and offer very specific advice - I could get him to do that. Just let me know.

Great band. Great recording. I think you could definitely have a career in music.