Sultans of swing 2nd solo

Jack Tamble
Jack Tamble
05/12/2002 8:59 pm
I have been learning sultans of swing, and ive made it all the way to the second solo. It was pretty much smooth sailing up till now, But I did spend a lot of time going over and over it to get it all right. The second solo presents problems, as im not sure im fast enough yet, and the two main repeating licks arnt going right for me. I dont know if I just have bad tab, or if its me...its probably me. Does anyone have any tips for me? Does anyone else out there know this solo? If so, please help me, as I am having a very hard time with this. Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning"
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/13/2002 1:29 am
The original was played finger-picking. You can approximate it with a flat pick, but it is harder.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/13/2002 5:01 am
http://lalimace.free.fr/mp3/sultans.wmv

I hope this helps...
# 3
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
05/14/2002 6:28 am
Keep at it Jack, forget the tab for a moment and let your ears tell your fingers where to go, learn one note at a time, you'll do alright, you know sometimes when I going somewhere I haven't been before, even though I'm in the right neighborhood, I still drive by the place I'm looking for a couple of times before I get it right.

------------------------------------------------------------
It's your thing, do what you wanna do, I can't tell you who to sock it to, it's your thing - Socrates?
# 4
Jack Tamble
Jack Tamble
05/17/2002 1:46 am
Ahhhh, I never even considered the fingerpick advantage. Thanx for the clip, lalimacefolle, I belive you played it even faster than Mr Knopfler. I guess it doesnt look that hard that way, except I am a total novice at fingerpicking. It is something ive always wanted to get into tho...So far ive flatpicked the whole song, I guess it could be interesting to try to fingerpick it all now that I know all the licks and voicings. Ill give it a shot. I really wish I could become a faster player, tho. Ive learned to put feeling into my improvisation, i try to make it sound like anything but just "notes". But ive never really been able to accomplish any speed. I belive the best I can do is 16th notes at a moderate tempo. I never pushed for it, I always thought "accuracy before speed", and maybe the speed will come. But so far it hasnt. Lalimacefolle, ive read that you are a big speed player, and im not talkin THAT fast. Just Stevie Ray Vaughans speed would make me happy. My god, ive known the Larry Carlton solo to Kid Charlimane for a year now and I still cant play it with the cd. He just blows me away.
Yikes, sorry for rambling on. Ill end this now. Thank you all very much for the help, I really do appreciate it.

[Edited by Jack Tamble on 05-16-2002 at 09:05 PM]
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning"
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.