low wattage tube amp, headphone monitoring, line out?

felstead159
felstead159
12/15/2013 11:10 am
Hi there,

I'm looking for some guidance in relation to my search for a new amp.

I'm a decidedly average player, mostly playing at home for my own pleasure, sometimes with a few friends. I'm unlikely to playing gigs any decade soon and I need to be able to keep the volume pretty low and will often listen through headphones. Music wise I would say my interests lean more towards the classic rock / blues type of vibe and whilst I occasionally play cleaner and funkier tunes I'm not likely to need metal tones.

I currently have a Vox VT40 which has been a perfectly fine. It's got a stack of different amp models, in built effects, the line in is really handy, the headphone out is extremely useful and the fact that there is a power attenuator is also a bonus. That said I feel I'm increasingly looking for something else in the sound. I'm not really into adding lots of effects and processing so that richness and life that I seem to get whenever I play through a proper tube amp is the missing link!

There are stacks of low wattage tube amps around now which is great. It would be great to find something with a headphone out or a speaker emulator, something that I can get a decent sound out of at a low volume ( I appreciate that with any tube amp cranking it will really bring it to life) so ideally some form of power attenuation to give some flexibility on break up / volume. In a perfect world it would have an in built reverb but that's not essential. An effects loop would be really handy.

I've ruled out the Blackstar amps (which don't seem to be a full valve amp) on the basis of their sound, I was really keen on the Egnater Rebel 30 - great sounds from the amp, perfect features but 30 watts is always going to be too loud. The speaker emulated line out suggested it would be usable through headphones but I'd never get the volume past 1 with the speaker activated (unless anyone out there can tell me I'm wrong on that one?)

I've been looking at the VHT special 6 Ultra. Simple Eq controls but the tones seem well suited to my style. It doesn't have a reverb but the effects loop means I can add one in when needed. It has a line out and I'm wondering if I could use this as a means of listening through headphones through my DAW / soundcard? I have Amplitube which I could use to add a simulated speaker to the line out. Would this work? My concern is that line out's lose the life in the sound that is my main reason for buying a new amp.

Other amps I've looked at include, Vox night train series, Hughes & Kettner tubemiesters, Hayden Mofo series, Orange micro terror.

Any advice on the line out query gratefully received, similarly any thoughts on the Egnater. Any other suggestions in terms of amp would be welcome.

Felstead159
# 1

12/16/2013 11:51 am
Blackstar is a all tube amp....
# 2
RCB-CA-USA
RCB-CA-USA
12/19/2013 4:52 am
I've got a Blackstar HT5RH and a HT 408 cab. It's got pre-amp and power-amp tubes, but there is computer stuff in there. Plus, I use a Zoom G9.2tt that's got a pre-amp tube and a power out tube, plus a very fast, very clean computer filled with effects, amp sims, cab sims, you name it, plus two pedals, one 3d pedal. However, the zoom into the Blackstar guitar input sounds incredible -- better than all tube. It sounds better than an old Fender Princeton Reverb, better than an old Twin Reverb, better than a Mustang V head I had. Yeah, the 5 watt is not LOUD LOUD, but it sounds better at room volume. With the right settings on both the computer and amp, you get touch sensitive, pick sensitive, all very responsive guitar volume and tone changes, clean to brutal. Because of the computer stuff, I can record direct from the head and direct from the head sounds perfect. I had to upgrade the tubes in the zoom because the stock tubes were junk. HUGE improvement with the right tubes, I got the right tubes.

...I ruled everything else out but the Blackstar and the Zoom. And you know it sounds good when you have no GAS, none. The only guitar stuff I need is a Tronical tuner for my SG, and that's it.
# 3
fretsmith
fretsmith
12/19/2013 5:26 am
Hey Felstead; I am a player exactly like you. I can't speak with real authority on the headphone issues you're worried about but I just wanted to chime in on your VHT candidate. I have the VHT 12/20 head running thru Celes V-30 (4). It is an AMAZING amp. I never see/read word one on any forum about VHT but I can say, from experience, this thing can keep up and shine alongside my buddies expensive Boogies and Egnaters. I'm with you on the Blackstar - not a fan. If I had any advice for you I would ask if you've noticed not all tube amps "take a pedal" the same way. If you use pedals you should try them with the amp (if U can) before U buy it (?) Another rig I have/play is a 6watt Fender Champ running thru a 4x12 cab with just an old BOSS DS-1 and it's great and plenty loud for a garage jam. On the rare occasion I want headphones I use my little Yamaha THR amp. I know this isn't real "help", I just wanted to cast my favor for VHT. Good luck, every amp candidate you mentioned are really good amps.
# 4
compart1
compart1
12/19/2013 2:18 pm
sales man version..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHwGPppbwq0
# 5
dlehr00
dlehr00
04/19/2014 4:23 am
Vox also makes some great tube amps if you are lookiing for more chime. These are a bit light on the gain, but for me that is fine.

Vox AC4TV 1x10" 4 Watt; this one has an attenuator so you can run it at 1/4, 1, or 4 watts.

Vox AC4C1 1x10" 4‑Watt; a bit more sound control and the one I love!

Good luck,

Dave-O

I had a Blackstar 1 Watt Amp--- very, very dull sounding, and a Bugera 5W Amp, as well as a Fender Blues Junior. Just never bonded to them.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.