"Second Place is Ok With Me" original country song by me

Matt Kimbler
Matt Kimbler
12/09/2013 7:46 am
This is a song I wrote about my Papaw and it means a lot to me. Please give me feedback good or bad cause im still new to writing songs and playing and this is the 2nd song Ive ever written. the link to watch the song is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7klNxxOys
I hope ya enjoy!!!
# 1
fretsmith
fretsmith
12/13/2013 5:49 pm
Cudos for having the bravado to put yourself out there like that. I've been playing for 40 years and still can't get past the feeling that when I play for an "audience" I'm inviting judgement. That negative psychy has resulted in me being the classic "closet guitarist" .... not very gratifying. So I admire you for your bravery. Country music lyrics are an art unto them self. Whether it's storytelling or the emotional observation of the result of a story ( I think I just grasped 90% of country music?) each phrase, each word has to convey what might normally require a paragraph. Frequently in a really clever way. I'd guess you're a big fan of that guy ( whose name escapes me right now... Maybe Jamie something?) that did that "You should have seen it in color" song ( a tribute to his own grampa), that's a pretty good example of a 5 stanza poem that tells an emotional story that could fill a book. Keep on strummin' brother, only those who have actually tried to "write a song", from start to finish, have any clue as to how difficult it is to write a "good" one.
# 2
compart1
compart1
12/13/2013 10:16 pm
likin' the lyrics..
Made me think of sittin on my grandpas lap.
I didn't get to go fishin with him, but I did get to help extract honey in the Honey house.
Keep working at it.. Your getting better.
# 3
Matt Kimbler
Matt Kimbler
12/15/2013 9:27 am
Thanks Fretsmith, and yes you did nail 90% of country. Also your a good guesser because I am a big fan of Jamey Johnson I like a lot of his music cause it has that traditional country feel. Song aren't easy to write that's for sure and the courage to put yourself out there doesn't come easy ether. But I figured the only way for me to improve is to hear some feedback so it was worth the try. Thanks again.

Thanks Compart1, Me and my papaw also had some bees gums that we robbed honey from. I'm glad to hear you had that experience too. Thanks for the compliment tho once again.
# 4
compart1
compart1
12/15/2013 3:27 pm
Hey Matt,
Do you have Faron Young on your list of old country artist..
# 5
Matt Kimbler
Matt Kimbler
12/15/2013 4:42 pm
Compart1 to be honest I don't think I've heard of him, but I'll go look him up tho cause I love the old stuff. I of course like ur typical artist like Waylon Jennings, George jones, hank jr, Johnny cash, haggard and stuff like that. Also me being from Kentucky also makes me a huge fan of Keith Whitley. Thanks for the recommendation I'll go listen to some of his stuff.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.