View post (Marshall)

View thread

maggior
maggior
12/05/2013 3:16 am
Cool. Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm interested to hear what you think of it once it arrives.

I have a 2000 American Standard Strat. It's got a standard floating bridge, maple fretboard, and 3 color sunburst which I always thought looked so cool. It was the guitar I always lusted after as a kid in high school. I also have a 2007 Les Paul Studio from the "faded" series in cherry. It's similar to what they call the Les Paul Junior (LPJ) these days. It was a great way to get into a Les Paul without breaking the bank.

When I first got my Les Paul, I didn't play my strat much. I went back to lighter gage strings on my strat (from 11's back to 9's) and now I'm finding I like my strat a lot again. I like having the 2 different tonal options between single coil and humbuckers. I also like the different feel I get from each guitar. Each has its own personality and quirks.

My acoustic is a Seagull S6 Gloss I bought back in 2000. I just had that setup professionally to bring the action down and love playing it again.

Last year I bought a Peavey Valveking combo amp. It's a 50W tube amp. It's my first tube amp and it really sold me on the tube sound. I was blown away at how responsive it was to my playing. My other amp is a small Crate practice amp I bought back in 2000 when I got my strat. It's in my upstairs music listening where I store my guitars. It's handy to have if I suddenly have the urge to play. My Peavey is setup downstairs in my practice area.

Last summer I got a Zoom G5 effect and amp simulator. I'm still struggling with it to get the type of tone I want out of it. It was cheaper than buying all of the effects I was interested in. I just have to spend time to get used to configuring it. It is fun though.

I had a Line 6 POD 2.0 that I just sold on EBay since my G5 basically replaced it. I can't believe Line 6 is still making these! They are great and quite road worthy.

I'm always eyeballing Les Paul Traditional guitars but there's no way I can justify buying one of those. For that to happen, my son will have to start playing, inherit my LP Studio, thus justifying my upgrading to a LP Traditional. He's only 6, so I have a few years for that to happen :-). If I have to wait for my younger son who is 4, it will be even longer of a wait.