View post (My speed on the Fretboard game was 6:02)

View thread

maggior
maggior
11/19/2013 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: SebastBergWell for my part I just named out loud every single notes on the fretboard (one string per day) for 2 weeks. So you start with lets say the low E and go...Low E fret 1 : F, fret 2 : F# ...and so on and you repeat it once or twice.
It will only take you 2 min and you do that everytime you sit down with your guitar, before starting to play.
Then for another week or 2 I named the notes at every fret going up the strings...Fret 1 high E string: F, Fret 1 B string: C...and so on. Again, this seems like hard work but whats 2 to 5 min of work for a life time of "easier playing". It's important to name them out loud...it really makes a difference.
This technique paid of for me. I can do the fretboard game under 50 seconds every single time and I'm no rocket scientist...so it will work for you too :)

Thanks for sharing this. I have struggled over the years to learn to read music. I know the E and A strings well only because of barre chords, though only really up to the 7th fret since I learned on a small acoustic back when I was a kid. I've improved on that by learning up to the 12th fret, after which it all repeats. I can fake my way with the D string knowing you transpose 2 frets up from the E string.

Anyway, I've heard from other musicians over the years that it's important to say out loud what note you are playing. I guess it forces your brain to make the connection between what you are doing physically and what you are seeing on the page when you say it out loud.

Your approach is very systematic...I'm going to try this. Once I know the notes on the fretboard, I can move to reading them from the staff. Half the battle will have been won :-).