View post (Picking Hand)

View thread

LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
06/24/2000 6:26 am
I was just saying that hammet doesn't pick fast. Not that nobody does. I've heard petrucci, and I've heard malmsteen, and while I don't love their stuff, they pick very very fast, i don't think either one uses hammerons or pulloffs much at all, petrucci almost never if ever does. To paraphrase Paul Gilbert, their notes sound like baseball cards in bicycle spokes. Is hit the lights a metallica song? Does kirk pick fast in it? Most of the killemall solos are very fast legato pentatonic or aeolian scalar runs.
Here's another tip for schmange. It's a technique i'm not comfortable with yet, but if practiced, it can yield some great results. Check out jimmy bruno (an incredible jazz guitarrist, one of the best straight jazz guitarrists around today, with almost definitely the best technique) to hear what it sounds like. In metal it's called economy picking, in jazz, the rest stroke. Instead of straight alternate picking, u alternate pick on each string, and when u cross to the next, continue the stroke. If you are going from the E string to the A string, always use a downstroke, even if alternate picking dictates that you should use an upstroke. If from B to G, always use an upstroke, blah blah blah. I'm not good at it yet, I've always been a straight alternate picker, but it's something i wanna practice. I imagine that it would also help to make one's sweep picking smoother.