Newbie From Texas

Blueaussie
Blueaussie
11/06/2013 2:29 am
Hello to all at GT Tricks. When I say newbie all I know is what a guitar looks like. I have for along time I have always wanted to learn how to play a electric guitar but never found the time in my life to do exactly that.

Wait I digress, when I was at the age of 10 my Mom paid for some lessons on a acoustic guitar. I learned how to play the song "On Top of Old Smokey. But back in that time my parents were doing good to put food on the table.

Forward 43 years I have found myself with way to much time on my hands. I spent a lot of time and research/reviews on these guitars. While I wished I could have spent a couple a thousand dollars on a better guitar I had to remember my priorities "family needs" plus the fact I have had 3 major back operations in the last 10 years "in fact found out last week I have to have another one. That being said I am looking at this in a positive light. There are millions of people who would gladly trade medical problems.

After a lot of looking and reading reviews on the guitars to choose from, I pulled the trigger on a brand new guitar Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro "ebony" finish all so known as the Tuxedo Guitar, along with a new Road Runner case and a cool looking leather strap black with white cool looking designs.

Sorry for babbling here! I am just looking forward to learning and corresponding with some cool people here At GT tricks. I still have to get a practice amp and cord. Forgot those items, lol.
Thanks everybody!
# 1
matonanjin
matonanjin
11/06/2013 2:48 pm
Blueaussie, given your medical issues it would sure appear you have a great attitude. Best wishes on your next surgery.

I've heard nothing but good about that Epi Les Paul. And I'm about a decade (a little more) older than you and have decided to get back to learning guitar late in life. Keep us posted here on your progress.

Where in Texas? And Blueaussie a reference to Australian Shepherd? (blue merle?)

Good luck!!

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 2
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
11/06/2013 6:52 pm
Hi Blueassuie,

We had a parody of that song when I was a kid, "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed", don't know if you've ever heard that version or not but I remember the original.

The new guitar sounds fun, we had a Epi LP here at GT for a little bit and I liked it a lot!

Congrats for getting back into guitar, we can help! Here's is the best place to start: http://www.guitartricks.com/corelearningsystem.php

Welcome, and best of luck on your progress (health and guitar)! :)

3 mins later: I had to come back and share that I will be humming "on top of Spaghetti" for the rest of my day
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 3
Blueaussie
Blueaussie
11/06/2013 7:11 pm
[QUOTE=matonanjin]Blueaussie, given your medical issues it would sure appear you have a great attitude. Best wishes on your next surgery.

I've heard nothing but good about that Epi Les Paul. And I'm about a decade (a little more) older than you and have decided to get back to learning guitar late in life. Keep us posted here on your progress.

Where in Texas? And Blueaussie a reference to Australian Shepherd? (blue merle?)

Good luck!![/QUOT

Hey matonanjin, dude you are spot on! Houston, TX. Yes I have a immature Australian Shepherd, she is a blue Merle, she has blue eyes... Well had she is 14 years old and has cataracts so she see or hear for that matter. Best dog I have had, well my old Border Collies were great too. Thanks for the welcome, I really appreciate your welcome. I hope to learn here because being on a fixed income I can't afford private studio lessons. I will keep you up to date!
# 4
maggior
maggior
11/06/2013 7:50 pm
Originally Posted by: Neal WalterThe new guitar sounds fun, we had a Epi LP here at GT for a little bit and I liked it a lot!

Hey Neal -

So the guitars that you guys are playing in the video lessons aren't your own? I know Chris S. plays his own strat since he has described how it's been with him for years and years and how he modified it. Is it a sponsorship thing where Gibson will give you guys guitars to use?

Just curious.
# 5
matonanjin
matonanjin
11/06/2013 9:11 pm
Then Blueaussie I need to tell you my user name is also my dog! lol Lots of people think it is a reference to the lead guitar player for Indigenous but it's not. (Mato Nanjin is lakota for "Standing Bear") It's the name of my good buddy, a red tri, that we had to put down last year. You can see him here as well as our blue merle, Hallee:

http://www.fourwindsphotography.com/farm/dogs/dogs.html

We just got a new puppy a month ago, another red tri. His name: Clapton. It was either Santana or Clapton. Since he is somewhat my wife's dog, she chose between the two! I need to get his photo on the website.

Again, let us know your progress.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.

# 6
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
11/09/2013 3:08 am
maggior, we did an Epiphone giveaway a while back so that's the guitar I was referring to, it's the one Epi LP that I have experience playing. The blue LP I use I've adopted from a GT/Gibson partnership we did a while ago. I play my own and also borrow from time to time for variety. :)
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

# 7
Blueaussie
Blueaussie
11/11/2013 3:30 am
Originally Posted by: matonanjinThen Blueaussie I need to tell you my user name is also my dog! lol Lots of people think it is a reference to the lead guitar player for Indigenous but it's not. (Mato Nanjin is lakota for "Standing Bear") It's the name of my good buddy, a red tri, that we had to put down last year. You can see him here as well as our blue merle, Hallee:

http://www.fourwindsphotography.com/farm/dogs/dogs.html

We just got a new puppy a month ago, another red tri. His name: Clapton. It was either Santana or Clapton. Since he is somewhat my wife's dog, she chose between the two! I need to get his photo on the website.

Again, let us know your progress.

Matonanjin, those are beautiful dogs, My Mini's Dad was a tri and her mother was a blue merle. Have not even started lessons yet doing some reading first.
# 8
Blueaussie
Blueaussie
11/11/2013 3:32 am
Originally Posted by: Neal WalterHi Blueassuie,

We had a parody of that song when I was a kid, "On top of spaghetti, all covered with cheese I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed", don't know if you've ever heard that version or not but I remember the original.

The new guitar sounds fun, we had a Epi LP here at GT for a little bit and I liked it a lot!

Congrats for getting back into guitar, we can help! Here's is the best place to start: http://www.guitartricks.com/corelearningsystem.php

Welcome, and best of luck on your progress (health and guitar)! :)

3 mins later: I had to come back and share that I will be humming "on top of Spaghetti" for the rest of my day

Neal are you still singing on top of old smoky all covered with cheese...lol some fun memories!
# 9
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
11/11/2013 7:54 am
oh yeah, it's funny how those little kid songs stick in your head forever.
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

# 10
fretsmith
fretsmith
12/03/2013 3:56 pm
Hey mat- Two years ago I fell from a 2 story balcony and broke my back and was forced into early retirement. I am also using my "luxury of time" to get better at guitar. Good luck with that next operation. With that big, heavy LP I bet you mostly SIT when you play right? I know when I jam with buddies and expect to be standing/playing, I bring something as light as possible. Good to "meet" you, welcome.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.