How did you meet your bandmates?Where do you look for people to jam with?

kingdavid
kingdavid
05/08/2002 1:50 pm
I guess the topic of the thread is the post.Answer that question.
I always read about people looking for this or that,as in drummer,or keyboardist or what have you,but not knowing where to look.I have an idea that might help.Something that works irrespective of where you from.This thread is meant to be some sort of info-seek.
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/08/2002 1:54 pm
I've actually though about switching to the bass since there must be 20 guitarist for each bassist or drummer in my town...
My answer? I ain't got no band, I'm a hired gun ;)
# 2
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/10/2002 9:52 am
Maybe I'm right.
Or maybe I'm wrong.
But the response this thread is getting could mean that whatever is in my mind is a very brilliant idea.
Or a very unnecessary(read dumb) idea.
I'll see.
# 3

05/10/2002 2:18 pm
Yeah... sadly, guitarists are a dime a dozen (especially rock guitarists).

david I'm exactly sure what you're idea is.. do you mean online collaborations?
# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/12/2002 9:10 pm
Well,not exactly collaborations,but a site where people go to look for people.let me tell you where the idea came from;
I would love to meet other people who play guitar.Even others who play whatever.But pple don't go singin in town;I play this,I do that!And in Kenya,there are no open mikes and what have you.Karaokes,yeh.But that's for everyone,pple out to have fun,not someone who might be considering getting in a band.If I wanted to asssemble a band,I have no idea where I'd find the right pple,coz the ones who do gigs in clubs and hotels around here don't do stuff I want to get into.
So two weeks ago,I figured since everyone with an interst in music inevitably goes to music stores,why not talk to the stores in town,ask them to allow me to put up anotice to the effect that if you would like to meet with others like yourself,maybe just jam,or form a band or whatever,to e-mail me.Irrespective of anything and everything:age,sex skill level,musicaltastes.....Then from the e-mails I get,I not only get a chance to meet these pple,I get to hook them up as well.
So I went to the first store.But the manager was kinda reluctant.But he introduced me to a couple of pple.And while there,I realised a website would be a heck of a lot better than a simple e-mail address.And by the time I left,the website had become a global thing.
At first I was thinking about doing something for kENYA ONLY.But I keep thinking different stuff and so on.
So basically,I want to do something that works,irrespective of where you from.Somethinf that takes care of geography.Coz for instance,James,what are the chances of you and I playing together?Realistically virtually nill.
Im thinking about maybe a site where pple sign up,create profiles amd so on.And maybe it works by country,or city or whatever,all these things are going through my mind right now.Kinda like those dating things or whatever.
But you get the basic idea;a place that you know if I go to this and that site,chancecs are good to meet pple with whom we share an area code.
I dunno if it would catch on.Do you think it would?Have you ever heard of such a site?Would you use such asite if it existed?
At the top of my fantasy,I'm thinking,5-10 years from now,some big band is on tv,and they're talking about how the band formed,and they say "we met on the....."lets call the site "the exchange" or whatever.And that time,they don't have to explain what the exchange is,coz the name is as ubiquitous(is this the right word?)as say,MTV or something.That would really be something.
And there are other numerous groups and individuals who play together,maybe they're a band,maybe they just jam,or whatever,and they met there too.
Look at how many posts here pple mention about looking for bandmates,or a drummer,or a female this or that.They don't know where to look.Have you ever heard anyone asking where to find lessons?No,coz that's easy to find.But this is different.
I could be onto something,I dunno
But I'll never know unless I try.And there's no harm in trying.
And by golly,this is the longest post I've ever done!!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.