Power/Progressive/Nu/Black/Death Metal? Which is your favourite, and why?

FretSlug
FretSlug
05/06/2002 6:14 pm
Just plain gallup.. I'm intrested..

I like Progressive most, and I'm cursing that there are so little people (other than guitarists) who like that kind of music as much as I do, because I would like to start a band but hey, what can you do.. Aargh..
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/06/2002 6:32 pm
it's post like these that make me realise how out of touch with other guitarists i am... what the hell is death metal? (is it bands like "craddle of filth"?)
What happened to thrash metal, or is it called something different across the pond?
what's power metal?

[Edited by educatedfilm on 05-06-2002 at 01:35 PM]
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
05/06/2002 6:36 pm
And nowadays you've got stuff like Doom Metal, Jazz Metal (Shaun Baxter's debut album) and a whole host of other forms and bone crunching metal riffs...
I personally lean most towards the thrash metal (old Metallica, Megadeth, Angra) and Death Metal (In Flames, Iced Earth) and the Doom Metal (Crowbar...) but, I like quite a few "Nu-Metal" songs, I like some of the 80's hair metal songs/bands...so, really it's a case of a decent song more than anything...
And then there's good ol' rock...:D
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/06/2002 10:29 pm
for me, it's completely random. depends on each individual band. my music taste is the most subjuctive thing in the world. although i tend to lean towards progressive and classic metal (ozzy, iron maiden, etc...)
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 4
Bodomchild
Bodomchild
05/06/2002 10:56 pm
Although I like all metal(some in smaller doses than others namely black metal, that is downright evil stuff!)I really enjoy melodic death metal out of Europe.Sweden is the biggest contributor of this style;Bands like Soilwork,Archenemy and At the Gates started there and they really keep the integrity of music-not going mach 10 for an entire song,(That's what most American death metal is)with some of the best shredding leads you ever heard.
# 5
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
05/07/2002 1:06 pm
Metal is metal to me....i just listen to all kinds without really worrying about what catagory they fit into. My fav band changes a lot, at the moment its megadeth.....i guess i'm still in denial about them splitting up :( Such a shame...but more modern metal bands agree with my ears.....especially Tool.....they got talent, even if the songs go on a bit on 'Laterallus' its a really good album.

Fretslug are you talking about progressive rock or metal there? I've never heard the term progressive metal before.....
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 6
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2002 4:48 pm
Im really in to the 80's rock/metal.
I used to hate Def leppard, Twisted Sister
and Alice Cooper and all the other 80's profiles
but now I just cant get enough.
It affects my social life. And my clothing.
This may sound weird, but the musicvideo to
Twisted Sister's "I wanna rock" is exactly how I
want my life to be. You can interpret that any
way you want to. I wanna rock is also the best
song ever. Its so simple, so 80's, so loud,
its just perfect!

# 7

05/08/2002 2:15 pm

Helloween, blind guardian, iron savior, edguy, tad morose, manowar, startovarius, hammerfall, kanziner, heavenly, and all the others I forget.

Always loved that style and always will... I just wish I could play it right :)
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.