View post (How to come up with great lyrics?)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
10/28/2013 4:42 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorI've read many accounts where songs just seem to "happen".

I think you can find inspiration from what interests you and what you are passionate about. Are there political issues you feel strongly about? Any particular news stories that had a strong impact on you? Plently of songs have been written in that vein. Do you enjoy reading or writing fiction? Science fiction? Early Rush and plenty of Iron Maiden songs have lyrics along these lines. Then there's Jon Anderson of Yes who would throw random words together just because they sounded good together but made no sense. [/QUOTE]
Well, as far as I can think of, there are 4 main things that actually interest me: Sci-Fi, Electronics/Technology, Japanese Culture and 70's/80's/early 90's Rock music. The latter is easy enough to write about, or rather, write in the style of, but the first three seem quite a bit more challenging. There probably are a few more things that interest me, but those would be the 4 primary things. I don't really care that much for politics. There's simply too little variation between the bad ideas the danish government comes up with, so it gets trivial really quick.

[QUOTE=maggior]You could start out with a dittly like "I can't write no lyrics and got no inspriation" blues. Remember, bad grammar is a key ingredient of the blues :-). Somebody usually dies, gets arrested, or is wronged in some wayt too...

I've actually considered trying my hand at recording a slightly altered 12-Bar Blues, using a mix of Open Chords and Sus-Chords. Maybe I should try writing some lines about my interests... I'm just very, very bad at expressing how I feel. All the cool bands I like make it seem so easy to write about a dozen different topics, and here I am, apparently unable to write about a single one... It's frustrating, to say the least.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...