GUITAR SCHOOL

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/05/2002 1:37 pm
Does anyone know anything about some guitar schools around the world were you can learn only things oriented to guitar. I know thereĀ“s one in L.A. and IĀ“ve heard that Satriani and Vai are teaching there. Is it really true?

IĀ“m sure that players like Hammett, Battencort and Gilbert went there during their early age.

Also, does anyone know how much it costs and how good you must be to get in there.

It would be a dream to move to sunny L.A. and only learn and play guitar all day long. But I really donĀ“t know anything about it so if you know somthing (anything), tell me.

Thank you very much!!!
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 1
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/05/2002 2:57 pm
Guitar schools? Universities perhaps?

I know there's a place called Berklee, Vai, Satriani, Di Meola have studied there, and ofcourse Petrucci as well. Ask Lalimacefolle, I bet he knows better.

Then there's a place called GIT (Something like guitar institute of technology, not sure though).

I bet some people from Guitartricks have gone to Git, or Berklee, but I don't know who.. Hmm.. My English is quite bad today.. Hmm..
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 2
Gulder
Gulder
05/05/2002 5:25 pm
Well, if you want to go to such a school I suggest you allready start saving !
It's about $3000 for a maximum of 30 points. I don't know how their system works, but from what I've read you need to have 140points(or something around that number) to graduate as a full professional. So you get your points by your grades. I don't really understand how the schoolsystem works there. And besides, the chances they let you in are pretty slim. You need to send a demo tape, etc. And ofcourse they only choose the students who they think have the most potential.

I'd really like to talk to some one who went to such a school too, just to be informed.

The git has a catalogue on their website with all the information you need. You only need to fill in your personal information and then you get to download a acrobat file which all the information is nicly categorized in. Just search for it on their site.

It wasn't much but I hope it helped.

Latz, Gul
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/05/2002 10:35 pm
There's two famous schools for guitar:
Berklee, based in Boston, that lots of famous guys have attended (Quincy Jones, John PETRUCCI, Steve VAI, Al di Meola, John SCOFIELD etc...) where lots of cool folks hang around. The only problem is that it's VERRRRRY expensive...

The GIT (guitar institute of technology) is a part of the Musician's institute, in LA. Paul GILBERT has attended the GIT, and that's the only one I can remember.

Those schools are state of the art schools, you learn with pros, working musicians, you get to play with your idols when they come through master classes, you can record things in their studios, and they are really opened towards the music industry world...

As for the system Gulder, that's pretty much the same as every University in the world:
For every semester class you take, you get a credit (if you pass of course) and you can take up to 30 credits a year (I don't know if that's the correct number, but it's for the example) that means you have 15 classes per week, some are master classes, some are open counseling, or one on one instructions with a pro.
So you need to attend the school several years to actually have the diploma, nothing new there. If you pass every class you have taken, to get 120 credits, you must have attended the school 4 semesters (4 times 30).

As for getting in, of course you send a tape, but the chances aren't slim. Why would they kick some guy that's ready to pay 3000 dollars for 6 months of instruction? As for scolarships, now there's a slim chance. Even Steve VAI payed to attend Berklee.

Those schools also offer non-diplomas classes, like summer workshops, so you might want to check this out to.
# 4
zeb985
zeb985
05/06/2002 4:47 am
I know this wont help but the most famous music school in the U.S. would have to be Juliard (dont know if the spelling is right) located in New York.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/06/2002 4:56 am
isn't the Julliard based on classical music?
# 6
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
05/06/2002 6:15 am
A new school that just opened is PSIAM, an alternative, internet based learning opportunity. PSIAM offers an open, self paced curriculum and also an easy payment plan. Just pay pal your $3000US to me, pstring, Dean of PSIAM, and I'll get started typing up that diploma.......
# 7
James8831
James8831
05/06/2002 7:55 am
there are some schools in the UK that warrant further investigation...

http://www.guitarist.co.uk/features/features_page.asp?ID=3911

May be a bit easier to get to...
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 8
firemelody
firemelody
05/06/2002 12:14 pm
LOL! *runs and sends her check right away*
Wow I feel like a better guitar player already ;)
~When it's dark enough, you can see the stars~
# 9
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
05/06/2002 2:15 pm
Originally posted by firemelody
LOL! *runs and sends her check right away*
Wow I feel like a better guitar player already ;)

I'll feel better as soon as I get the check!
# 10
zeb985
zeb985
05/06/2002 2:27 pm
Its possible that Juliard only teaches classical. But still a chance to be taught by the best thats a big opportunity if he could pull it off. Not only that classical music is some difficult stuff to play atleast I would think and if he could do that he could branch off in his spare time and play what ever style he wanted. Just food for thought though.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 11
Gulder
Gulder
05/06/2002 3:34 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle

As for getting in, of course you send a tape, but the chances aren't slim. Why would they kick some guy that's ready to pay 3000 dollars for 6 months of instruction? As for scolarships, now there's a slim chance. Even Steve VAI payed to attend Berklee.

Well, they have to choose between alot of students right ? But they have only a maximum capacity so it would be obvious to chose some one who is good and pays the $3000 than some one who has little chance to succeed and pays. Ha well, I really don't know what I'm talking about since I don't know anyone who went there. It was only a guess. In belgium the university system works quiet different (and better imho), but you can't judge if you haven't tried them both ;)

Oh, and another question. Is it worth it ? Yeah sure, there were some great names like vai, gilbert, ..., but what about all the other people that graduated ? What do they do now ? I understand that some people get a job as teacher, or even as a famous soloist/group guitarist, but that I think is a very select group, no ? What are the chances you are going to earn your bread after you've graduated from such a school ?

EDIT: => FretSlug, I thinkyou misunderstood my point I don't want to be famous, besides If I wanted to go to such a school I wouldn't be able to pay it anyway. I just wondered if you can earn your living when you graduated from such a school. What are the options afterwards except going for teacher or in a band... and how big are the chances you'll earn your money playing a guitar and will you be able to live from it ?

Anyway, thanks.

Ltz, Gul

[Edited by Gulder on 05-06-2002 at 11:38 AM]
# 12
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/06/2002 4:11 pm
Is fame the only thing you want? ;) Probably most of the guitar players who have graduated from those schools are the top guitarists (or technically most advanced, and ofcourse in theory too) who live on the face of the earth nowadays. I'm not saying that they are the best, I'm just saying that they must be very good.

I think that most of the people who try to get in these schools have the ambition to be "the Best" or the just want to be good, and they want to advance in their studies.
Take John Petrucci for an example, I'm almost certain that he wanted to become a better player by attending to Berklee, and you see the results.
Of course, I'm not speaking for Petrucci, so I don't know what he thought as he sent his tape to Berklee, but I suppose that thoughts like this could have been in his head.
# 13
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
05/07/2002 1:54 pm
An education at one of the big name guitar schools is just like any education, once you graduate it's up to you to decide what you want to do with it and a diploma from an institution is no guarantee, it might let you get a foot in the door of a few places, but it's still going to be up to you to make things happen...........
# 14
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/07/2002 5:05 pm
People see me play and they think I'm good, guitarists see me play, and I have to tell them I have attended Berklee so they tell me I'm good...
# 15
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/07/2002 5:27 pm
You've been in Berklee? As a student or in a summer guitar system you mentioned before?
# 16
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/07/2002 5:48 pm
summer school dude, I ain't got enough money to afford more than 2 weeks...
# 17
James8831
James8831
05/08/2002 1:38 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
People see me play and they think I'm good, guitarists see me play, and I have to tell them I have attended Berklee so they tell me I'm good...

:) LOL -ahhh the egotism of the guitarist,"Im better than you UNTIL you tell me you've been to the top school"
...who needs ears...
I bet if told people that they'd let me be even more sloppy "He must know what he's doing..." hahaha..
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 18
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/14/2002 6:27 pm
Hmmmmmmm, I'm gonna check the books from Berklee, but I remember there was a demo tape required... I might be wrong too, since the university of Florida sent me papers too...
# 19
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/14/2002 7:36 pm
My wrong, it was the GIT.
Berklee only asks you what classes you have been to, which book you have studied, and what your career goals are. No level requirements.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.