View post (Fretboard Trainer)

View thread

David Portelli
David Portelli
09/08/2013 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: torainbowsendAlthough I have played the guitar for many years, my knowledge of the fretboard is extremely limited. The Fretboard trainer is a game that I find engaging and challenging. However, as a "fretboard beginner", I find it hard to use as a learning tool.

If there was a gaming level which would require an input following a wrong answer, before advancing, the beginner (me) could review the correct response, and WHY I made the incorrect selection.

Does anyone else see this as a positive .... Or have additional ideas?

Personaly I studied, and continue to study the fretboard in a number of ways as I found that there is no one way which will cover you 100% when playing.

Here are some of the ways I have studied or study:

1) Knowing all of the note names on any string and any fret number
2) Taking any note, then being able to instantly identify 2 possibilities for any interval based on that starting note (so I can quickly give you two options for nearby thirds, fourths, fifths etc.)
3) Learning inversions for chords and arps
4) Learning modal scale positions and practicing them in a number of ways such as ascending in Ionian then discendin Dorian the ascending Phrygian etc. or simply playing on two strings at a time horizontaly rather than vertically.. Or playing three modal shapes at a time and playing through them diagonally etc.
5) singing phrases and finding them by ear so that I get a natural sense of where to go to get a particular sound

In the long run I have found that when you look at the fretboard in many different ways you get to know it on a deeper level

/Dave