Where is the world coming to?

kingdavid
kingdavid
05/08/2002 1:43 pm
I guess you guys have a point about what happens to a song when it's put on a commercial(which wasn't originally written for a commercial).I think if I made a great song,and it was all that,I would like it not to be touched......
There's a point there.Not getting into the commonality that begets a song in an ad....I dunno,chastity...something.
*Shrug*
Purity maybe?
You have a point.

# 1
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
05/08/2002 6:19 pm
Hey folks,

While I am sure that there are folks that play music for the shear joy of it, so will get rich doing it, others will toil trying to earn a simple living at it, one thing remains the same... It is a business.

You get the tunes, you get the look and fight for a deal with a record company that signs you to a contract with clauses so outdated and rediculous that it will be very hard indeed to make money on sales alone unless you make some HUGE mark like Zepplin did. I am quite sure that Sony music does not hold the rights to the song it the spot in question, so who sold the rights for the add to be used? This is a limited run probably, used to sell cars to the guys that were thrashing their guitars in garages 30 years ago. 15 year old guys back then that worked their share of crap jobs to get to a point where they too could afford the things that make them feel like they have earned something. In this case a car... maybe the type of car the may have seen music heros driving.

The add agency wants to target the 40 something audience and the band is just the draw needed. Cars are sold. The same complaint came up with the Stones. Mick Jagger got a call from a company that wanted to use a song to promote it's product. Mick didn't want to sell the music so he made a rediculous demand for the price of using the song. 10,000,000.00. Yep, 6 zeros. The company said, "O.K." and paid to use the song. " Start Me Up " was used to launch Windows '95 and Bill Gates wrote the check for the money he and Jagger agreed to. Pretty smart of Jagger, but he is a great business man.

Keep playing, keep working at your own style, play as many shows as you can, big or small. Do not forget that it is a business because when you get to the point you when you sign that record deal, you will need the skill you have learned so you do not get screwed at the bargaining table.

In short, don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Blaksmith
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.