View post (Where is the world coming to?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/06/2002 5:15 pm
lol, heheheh, what did happen to steppen warf?
Yeah, but the difference between the 50's and 60's is massive, a publically pro communist attitude in the fifties could result in attempts on your life, having your passport taken away, or worse, refused entry back in.. by the sixties it had changed, and being anti the goverenmt (and capitalism) was kinda more accepted, but that may have to do with the doubts over vietnam, and the huge swell for suppourt for the black power movement..

NOw songs like "ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart" is just another politicaly charged rock tune... and oasis saying they're bigger than god just went as another borish little stunt, and no one really cared...
but to be honest, I'm a little worried about comprimising ideas and lyrics to make music more universal and family friendly... I mean, if it's not suitable to kids, dont sell it to em, dont change the music.

Saying all that rebellion can go waaaaayyyyy too far.
Iggy pop, kinda was one of the first lot that started to go too far back in the early 70's, sadly back then it was his self harming (he used to slash his chest and belly with razors or glass) and jerking off in the middle of a set that got him attention..
20 years after the early iggy, we saw richie from the manics had slashed "4real" into his arms, and the gashes were huge, and he had his photo taken like this... and it generated alot of fuss, because what was the point of this? sure it was the self destruction of rock and roll, but what had he achieved in the processs?
30 years after the early iggy, we now see chasy choas from amen slashing his big beefy arms in the middle of his set... I mean, there are bands like disturbed who use fake blood etc etc, but Chasy was actually doing this for real on stage and was getting rushed to hospial.. but again what's the point? it certainly getting his attention, but what's so bad that drove him to that? sure he's scaring the crap out of the conservative middle classes like we'd all love to, but isn't he diverting attention from he real message rather than promoting it?