View post (Where is the world coming to?)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/04/2002 5:24 pm
I dont think it's a sell out at tall...
I mean those songs weren't "comercailly concieved", so the songs still have that same meaning and depth and sencerity.. it's just getting aired more than normal. Do you know what i mean?
I mean punk is to me a great form of music, not your mindless skate punk, but bands like "the dead kennedies", and thier songs are quite clever and rebelious, and pretty much against the whole corprate thing. Would i think that they had sold out if thier music was played on a nike comercail? No, course not, cos the songs are exactly the same, they still hold thier integrety...
It's what happens before the recording that's important in regard to the whole "selling out" issue... I mean, I would view alot bands who write music to sell as "sell outs", but poeple who write music as a form of expression, and after they've finished, that's that, what ever they do after that doesn't affect that recording... I'm explaining this very badly...
It's like Iggy pop's music, it was rebellious, and true to punk nature... and wasn't selling... A couple of decades later the songs appear on some adds and they start to sell... those songs are still exactly the same, and he didn't write it for those commercials so he didn't sell out...
ps: there's nothing wrong with "selling out", just i would preffer to keep my music sinceir... I might change my mind when i'm in need of money. lol