Come on in and drop a load off!!!!

zeb985
zeb985
05/03/2002 5:42 am
Hey all I hope you dont mind but im feeling pretty frustrated right now so im going to clear my head by writting versus throwing my guitar out the window. Im working on learning my first guitar solo right now; its Justice for all by Metallica also working on Hey Joe by Jimmy. These songs are kicking me in my butt! So far these are the most difficult pieces ive attempted to learn. All the songs ive learned before know are pretty simplistic. I could turn on the song and after a few attempts juist pick it up or get it close. With these songs Ive started to count out the notes for the first time (1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4 and so on). And thats driving me nutts. For some reason when im counting out the notes its really hard for me to think in tone and to put fellings into my play it also sounds choppy. Its seems to me that it makes me think more versus just feeling it and going on with the flow. Has anyone else out there gone through a stumbbling block like this. Or does this just sound like a bunch of nonsence? Anyways if anyone has any comments id like to here um if not write down problems your having right now in your playing i would like to here them. And who knows maybe someone out there might have the right answers for ya.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 1
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/03/2002 11:22 pm
First of all, why are you learning those songs first? Try some easy solos first - itll develop technique way better.

And second, all that about putting tone and feeling into it, thats all bull****. Just learn the notes, play along with the record then work from there.

By the wya, what do you mean about putting feelings into it, im interested.

PS Im not attacking you
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 2
zeb985
zeb985
05/04/2002 6:55 am
calm down there buddy, I didnt mean to tick ya off. I was just clearing my chest. As far as what I mean about feellings thats kind of hard to explain but Ill try. when I play no scratch that; when I here a song or atleast some songs it puts me into a certain mood or atleast it arises some sort of emotion in me.
I know I just said that songs strike an emotion in me but its really much deeper than that. when I listen to a song I feel something different for each note that is played. Its almost like each note that is played has a seperate Identity but its seperated by an emotion. I know what your thinking right know! Each note does have a seperate Idenity and thats what seperates them. And you would be right to say that. Also you could say that a song sounds sad because of the arrangement of notes and depending on what notes you accentuate brings out some basic tone or emotion, for example thats what makes it a sad song. Man, I know im not making any sence right know but bare with me. Question for you have you ever heard a song that brings you down then a few bars later builds you back up again? If you have take out that cd sit down with it and forget all the technical stuff you know, dont try and figure it out the song or analyze it. Just sit there and as each note strikes you feel it. close your eyes and let each note take you to some where else emotionally.
How does it make you feel, (each note)? Does one note strike you as sad but powerfull and the next note strike you as sad but contempt and do those notes lead up to note that makes you feel sad but hopefull. As I sit here writting this I can here and feel the notes Im talking about but Its hard to put into words. this is what I feel.
After listening to a song and feeling it in that way I remember the way each note makes me feel then I try and feel it and at the same time im watching in my head where to put my fingers on the frett board. then after watching and feeling the notes I go back and try and play.
to sum it up and this in no way acctually describes it but this is the best way I can explain it. I follow along on which notes need to be hit and fretted by watch the movement of my hands in my head but as far as how to accentuate each note I do that by feeling it.
If this in anyway dint help you to understand what im talking about let me know or if I didnt answer you question let me know or ask it and be a little more specific. Or if you have a comment on this reply Id like to here it. But heres another question for you what do you feel when you play? Last comment some people say they play each note by watching colors or by hereing scales or by what ever method people have all I know is I play by feelings.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 3
kimbob
kimbob
05/04/2002 8:42 am
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Led Zeppelin
[B]First of all, why are you learning those songs first? Try some easy solos first - itll develop technique way better.

Zeb,
I don't know how advanced you are but Led is right. Try learning something a little easier first. Try learning a solo that has a nice hook or melody to it and an easy to recognize scale. One that comes to mind is, "Chain Gang" by the Pretenders. Good luck.
"Let that boy Boogie Woogie. Cause' it in em' and it got to come out." -John Lee Hooker-
There's no substitute for expeience. So get out there and break some strings on stage.
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/04/2002 11:19 pm
Ha, I wasnt angry at you mate, Im just saying concentrate on being able to play a piece before trying to show how much you "feel it". Youll get all that feeling crap later on.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/04/2002 11:21 pm
In other words, approach it like pinocchio, learn the song, then youll become a real boy, I mean then learn how to feel it.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.