View post (Frustration...)

View thread

Ludes
Ludes
02/23/2017 6:30 am
Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizard
Originally Posted by: GreggRich1[br]I have played acoustic rhythm guitar for a long time, and I can say I am really good at it. I am not an "amazing" guitar player, nor do I aspire to be that. I would like to be as good, clean, and articulate on electric (lead) guitar as I am an acoustic asset. I'd be totally satisfied being as good an electric guitar player as I am with an acoustic. I don't know if that makes sense. When people hear me play acoustic guitar, even other really good musicians, I am able to add a factor that I am proud of, and truthfully, I find doing that to be quite easy.
[br][br]The advice I'd like to offer is going to be quite contrary to what others have said. Rather than encourage you to just keep forging ahead with something that you're clearly not happy with, I'd instead suggest you look at why you're trying to learn something that is giving you so many problems.[br][br]You're goal is quite well defined. First off,[br][br]-can you play anything on your electric that you can play on your acoustic to the point where you are happy with it? Even just a simple chord progression, but something that makes you feel good about playing guitar... it "feeds" you the same way playing your acoustic does.[br][br]If not, keep in mind that there are variables to electric guitars that can make the easier/harder to play. Thick fingers? Then look for a guitar with a wider neck.... this might be a model that you'd normally dismiss because it looks like a "shredders" guitar... point is, make sure the electric you have is a good fit. I bet your acoustic feels like a comfy pair of your favorite jeans when you play it. You want the same with your electric... or at least plenty of room for your fingers![br][br]Once you can play something that you're happy with on your electric guitar, its time to look at what kind of lead playing to you want to learn, and WHY. If you're learning lead guitar "just because" or because you feel you should in order to be an "accomplished guitar player" then that's not really a good reason. The best players out there are the guys that know their strengths, and enhance those. Steve Vai said he never worked on his weaknesses, just his strengths. What he means is that he didn't force himself to learn stuff he didn't like to play. Forget all this "well-rounded" guitar player stuff... there are so many styles and disciplines in guitar, there is no way someone can be competent at all of them. For every gap you fill in your playing, you'll just find three more holes to fill. [br][br]Instead, think of sharing the music inside you, and the guitar is just your chosen instrument of expression. Whatever you'd like to play, work toward that... whatever feeds your passion, makes you want to share it with other people, that's where I think you should put your energy. If you don't really like learning blues licks, and get super frustrated trying to figure out how someone else is playing something, forget about it. There are literally millions of guitar players out there learning the same tired licks over and over... [br][br]Look at someone like The Edge from U2... tons of guitar players put him down, say his playing is all just the delay, or that he doesn't have any real skill. I see it differently. He approached guitar with an innocence and naivety that led to a very unique and sincere style. I read recently some advice that just said "learn sweep picking"... really? Why? We should all just learn sweep picking? Can you imagine Eno & and co in the studio recording "Where the Streets Have No Name" and saying "nice intro Edge, but maybe throw some sweep picking in there..."? [br][br]The point is, there is so much you can learn on guitar, you can't cover it all in a lifetime no matter how much you practice. Therefore, everything you decide to practice and learn should be a part of your goal, whatever that is. Don't get me wrong... if someone says "I just want to learn how to play 'Layla'... that's a goal. Its clear. There's nothing wrong with it. However, if they are really, internally thinking "because when I can play 'Layla' I'll prove to all my friends I'm as good as Eric Clapton", then that's not so good. Eric Clapton didn't write the song to prove what a great guitar player he was, and there's a ton of other styles he would be lost trying to emulate, but he's still considered a legendary guitarist.[br][br]Be really honest with yourself about your motivations as you set your goals for playing guitar. Getting frustrated isn't just a sign that you need to have more patience and buckle down. How many times have you heard of someone being frustrated in a job or career, only to realize that they needed to make a complete life-change, and when they did, they felt much better for it. Get comfortable in your own skin, embrace the guitarist that you are, and then work towards enhancing your own strengths as a player. If that means learning licks and scales, then by all means, go for it. But I get the feeling from what you've written that your heart isn't really in it as far as learning blues licks go, and accepting that might be a really good thing. For what its worth, I learned to solo using blues licks & scales because everyone seemed to say that was the way to do it. I found out much later that what I really enjoyed was learning seven-note scales, and approaching soloing by trying to derive a melody first that fit the music. I'm not an "amazing guitarist" either, but I am happy with my playing so far, and when I practice, I really enjoy it because I practice things that allow me to play what I want to play. [br][br]I'd really like to hear your rhythm playing... even just a quick YouTube video. I'd wager its probably more interesting than most solos. [br][br]I'll finish off this crazy long post with the observation that when you play what comes naturally to you on your acoustic, you're happy with it. You're so confident that you'll fearlessly show it to guitar players that are technically more accomplished than you because you know it has merit. People hear it, and like it. You find it comes easily, without all the anguish that you're experiencing trying to learn these blues licks. That to me is a sign you're following the path that is right for you. I'm sure you have something to offer in terms of lead playing too... but just be yourself and be honest about it. You may find that while its not your typical "watch me race across the fretboard" soloing, it may end up being something far more interesting to play and listen to.

This ^^ may be the best piece I have read on guitar playing in a long time.

Re: the blues that the OP speaks of and I know I'm reviving a very old post, I came opposite 180 than you which shows how relevant Slipin Lizard's post is.

Billy Corgan was the guy that made me want to play guitar. I finally got an electric and started learning but soon found I desired to play acoustic, as I was at the same time outgrowing that angst youngster period ..

Then I got super into the jam band musicians. They frustrated me though. A relative newbie, or at least someone of my talent just a few years into guitar cannot expect to try to play phish or grateful dead or dave matthews. So I quit.

Then I "discovered" Exile on Main St. when I happened to move to Chicago. And in that beautiful city was surrounded by the blues and it stirred my soul and I've been trying to learn it since.

So... what Slipin Lizard said!!