View post (Frustration...)

View thread

JJ90
JJ90
07/08/2013 2:54 pm
Hi Greg,

I'm sorry to hear that you are frustated with your progress. I had the same as maggior. I worked through Anders' lessons in the Core Learning System and had few problems. At the end of Blues level 1 Anders plays a lot of stuff that are more for demonstrational purposes and to get ideas / inspiration. In those lessons he doesn't explain in detail the licks that he plays. In Blues level 2 he goes into more detail. I think that the increasing level of difficulty is just fine in the Core Learning System in general.

But that's the situation for me. It doesn't have to mean that it's easy for you, everyone is different.

Everyone will have those moments of frustations, even I do. Sometimes it can be difficult to break down that wall you run into. Remember this: It's easy to progress with guitar when you start out, but it becomes more difficult to get better, the better you get.

One important thing is that some guitar players get frustrated because they expect a bit too much in terms of being able to play something advanced in a short amount of time. It can sometimes take a lot of time to master those difficult guitar parts. The key is being patient!

It's important to take your time when trying to master the difficult things. This usually means to slow down parts to such a level that you can't do anything but play it right. If that means to slow it down to 40 bpm that's totally ok. Practice it right and the speed to play it normal will come. Also, a lot of guitar players tend to move away from those difficult parts and start playing what that already can play when practicing. When praticing it is important to focus on those things you really want to learn.

And on one final note: Don't get frustrated. The time you are frustrated is time you could be practicing.

Hope that helps you in some way breaking down that wall. I also recommend this effective practice series from a guy named Justin Sandercoe. He's the only other online guitar teacher I watch. His lessons are totally free but he's a professional guitar teacher and well known on Youtube.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/PC-000-Practice.php

The most important thing I learned from this series is to observe yourselve making mistakes. When you exactly break down and see what you are doing wrong it becomes much easier to work to a solution.

Please let us know what exactly you are struggeling with. Which lesson do you mean? Is it the finger placement or speed or perhaps the picking hand? Perhaps we or some of the instructors here can give you some tips on improving on a certain subject.

Hope this helps.

JJ