View post (Frustration...)

View thread

GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
GreggRich1
Gregg Richards
07/08/2013 2:38 pm
I appreciate your responses. The one line alone (everybody goes through this) is probably most helpful; it give me cause to dive back in harder than ever.

Slipin Lizard:
My goals are poorly defined in the way you state and sadly, I know that's not as productive as it should be.

I have played acoustic rhythm guitar for a long time, and I can say I am really good at it. I am not an "amazing" guitar player, nor do I aspire to be that. I would like to be as good, clean, and articulate on electric (lead) guitar as I am an acoustic asset. I'd be totally satisfied being as good an electric guitar player as I am with an acoustic. I don't know if that makes sense. When people hear me play acoustic guitar, even other really good musicians, I am able to add a factor that I am proud of, and truthfully, I find doing that to be quite easy.

What frustrates me is how different I find these animals. E guitar can almost be described as a whole new instrument from acoustic. So, when I thought the transition would be easy with my skill level, it has been anything BUT.

I picked blues, because it is the source of virtually all lead guitar structure...not because of any particular love for the blues. I just thought it would be the shortest path.