View post (Frustration...)

View thread

maggior
maggior
07/08/2013 1:09 pm
My experience with Anders' lessons is quite the opposite. A big component of the blues is making it your own, which Anders forces you to do - especially in the second part of the blues course. Maybe it's that aspect that is frustrating you.

Most recently I've beeing going through the section where he goes over the albert and bb king styles. He breaks down a signature lick with a few variations. Then, he jams with it varying it and "making it his own".

The key piece here is *phrasing*. You can take a lick and make it sound completely different just by changing the phrasing. Anders has a section where he breaks this down in excruciating detail. I believe it is a series of lessons in Blues part 1. He even makes a "one note solo" with the focus on nothing but phrasing.

What makes Anders so great (and frustrating at the same time! :-) is his playing sounds so cool, yet he has a minimalist approach which makes you think "yeah, I can certainly do that - looks easy". Then you pick up your guitar to play along and realize you completely suck in comparison.

I found myself blowing through the first part of the course quickly and skimmed over some things I thought weren't important to me. I need to go back and focus on them more. I kind of got stuck.

If you want to learn stuff that is broken down note-for-note in it's entirety, you might want to check out some of the song lessons. Since the goal there is to learn a song and not improvise, the approach is much different. Pick a song that you like that is at your level (or a little higher) and go to town!!

You are not alone in your frustration. EVERYBODY goes through this.