Bridges and Transitions

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/08/2013 1:28 am
Two part question: Does anyone have tips or ides for writing bridges, and managing transitions from one part of a song to another?

When I write a song, the chorus and verses, both lyrics and music, usually come pretty quick. I usually have a melody in my head and write the lyrics, and usually have something I feel is "hooky" for the chorus. Then I put the music to it.

But then, I feel obligated to have some sort of bridge. There I get stumped. Lyrically (to me), a bridge is sort of a fill in for the story of the lyrics. It can pull everything together, tie up loose ends, or make stand out statement; different things like that. I can usually come up with something that fits lyrically, but have the darndest time musically. It usually just sounds "made up" to me.

And then, transitions... I don't like to repeat the same old "hold the last chord and build up". I try to create chordal transitions, but they sound either redundant to the previous progression, or just sound out of place. Transitions are probably the hardest thing for me.

Anyone able to give me an "Ah Ha"! ?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/08/2013 10:13 am
Originally Posted by: RazboTwo part question: Does anyone have tips or ides for writing bridges, and managing transitions from one part of a song to another?

When I write a song, the chorus and verses, both lyrics and music, usually come pretty quick. I usually have a melody in my head and write the lyrics, and usually have something I feel is "hooky" for the chorus. Then I put the music to it.

But then, I feel obligated to have some sort of bridge. There I get stumped. Lyrically (to me), a bridge is sort of a fill in for the story of the lyrics. It can pull everything together, tie up loose ends, or make stand out statement; different things like that. I can usually come up with something that fits lyrically, but have the darndest time musically. It usually just sounds "made up" to me.

And then, transitions... I don't like to repeat the same old "hold the last chord and build up". I try to create chordal transitions, but they sound either redundant to the previous progression, or just sound out of place. Transitions are probably the hardest thing for me.

Anyone able to give me an "Ah Ha"! ?

When I stopped thinking of 'guitar solutions' for this stuff, I stopped having the issue. It was like writing with Lego blocks and I was trying to find a way to use a 'four peg white skinny one just because'.

Listen to Heart's 'Crazy on You'. The transition between verse and chorus does have a little guitar lick but is largely harmonized vocal build up.

Sometimes the transition is a part of the songs that sets up a little tension to be released in the chorus. Sometimes it's a slight variation on the main riff (either verse or chorus).

I think the thing that killed me was trying to find a distinct, different riff to squish in to the song. So I stopped. I stopped thinking of riffs and just opened up my head to what the song needed irrespective of what the guitar needed.

Take 'Love Gun', a drum roll...It just depends on the song and whether ot not it is best served with a subtle transition, a full on stop, a build up or whatever.

I mean, because I have a huge amount of work obligation, I am writing very slowly, so what do I know from nothin'?

I do know that I stopped feeling the way you did when I stopped trying to make the answer another guitar riff.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/09/2013 12:10 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
I think the thing that killed me was trying to find a distinct, different riff to squish in to the song. So I stopped. I stopped thinking of riffs and just opened up my head to what the song needed irrespective of what the guitar needed.

Maybe I am trying too hard to conform to certain ideas. The songs I have that seem to work the best are ones where I did not try for anything. They flowed and transitions just happened. If they had a bridge, they had a bridge, and I did not go back to add things I thought were "supposed" to be there.

I guess I'm in this idea that I think I should be writing more musically complicated songs and trying to force something into them.

Thanks for the response!
# 3
haghj500
haghj500
06/11/2013 5:40 am
Sometimes less is more, leave wholes open for others to fill as you write. A bass run or drum fill tossed in while writing, even if you just heard it in your head for now can help you get through transitions. Share the wealth.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/15/2013 6:04 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Sometimes less is more, leave wholes open for others to fill as you write. A bass run or drum fill tossed in while writing, even if you just heard it in your head for now can help you get through transitions. Share the wealth.

True enough, and you bring up another concept.... Most of my writing has been solo songs that needed guitar for all. Only lately have I been writing in a band sense. That is a whole other thing. Direct them? Or let them make something outside myself?
# 5
haghj500
haghj500
06/15/2013 6:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo Direct them? Or let them make something outside myself?

Nether, yet both.
Let them know this is what I was thinking about to go here, but they are the masters of their instruments let them think about what you said and see what they come up with. It may be the same or give you more to draw from if you decide you still need to make up something to help fill the time.
# 6
ISirius42
ISirius42
07/14/2013 4:46 am
Just a couple of ideas:
- If the verse and chorus's are based on a major key progression, try using a progression in the relative minor (or vise-versa)
- If the verse and chorus are based on one chord per measure, try making the bridge based on changes every half note (or vise-versa). In other words, change the feel of the tempo.
- Keep the same verse or chorus chord progression, but change the lyric rhyme structure. For example, if you are using rhymes at the end of each line, try using internal rhymes.
- Drop the bridge and insert an instrumental over the verse or chorus chord progression.
- Or leave it--it's perfect the way it is.
# 7
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
07/16/2013 10:37 pm
Great response ISirius42! Those are some really good practical suggestions!
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.