Back in the saddle

treeder
treeder
05/25/2013 10:40 pm
I picked up the guitar today after 3 months of not playing. Beginning of May I had surgery to correct a trigger thumb on my strumming hand. Hand surgeries are no stranger to me as this is my fifth (two trigger finger and two carpal tunnel), but the first since I began my guitar journey. I knew exactly what this was and I roughly anticipated a rapid recovery. The pain with this one was nothing like I had experienced and the recovery has also been painful... not at all what I expected. But today I felt comfortable in starting again and I'm happy to say all was good. Don't get me wrong, after three years I'm still very much a beginner and not at all where I want to be as a player, but I am progressing. Anyway, it's good to have a guitar back in my hands!!!!!

Rock On!
Tim
# 1
Stringybark
Stringybark
05/26/2013 8:59 pm
Excellent news and welcome back! :)

I hope that there won't be any more surgeries from now on and you can finally progress with your guitar at the rate you want.

Rock on! :D
The accidental guitarist.
# 2
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
05/28/2013 3:31 pm
Great that you are able to play again :)

Just wondering, how long did the recovery take (in order for you to actually be able to play again?)
# 3
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/28/2013 6:56 pm
Glad to hear - rock on!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 4
treeder
treeder
05/28/2013 7:40 pm
I had surgery on May 3, stitches out May 14 and started playing again on May 25. I hadn't played since about the beginning of February. I woke up one morning and couldn't extend my thumb all the way, just like that. Recovery has been pretty solid, although it has been painful in the thumb muscle. Both trigger fingers prior were on each ring finger and there was no pain - either before or after surgery, just a finger I couldn't straighten. The pain I had with the thumb was excruciating, now it's just sore and I know it will go away eventually. So, recovery has been a breeze compared to before surgery, which it should be. Now I can concentrate on playing again and let me tell you, it's much better this way!!

Rockin' On!
# 5
treeder
treeder
05/28/2013 7:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Joseph KimbrellGreat that you are able to play again :)

Just wondering, how long did the recovery take (in order for you to actually be able to play again?)

I had surgery on May 3, stitches out May 14 and started playing again on May 25. I hadn't played since about the beginning of February. I woke up one morning and couldn't extend my thumb all the way, just like that. Recovery has been pretty solid, although it has been painful in the thumb muscle. Both trigger fingers prior were on each ring finger and there was no pain - either before or after surgery, just a finger I couldn't straighten. The pain I had with the thumb was excruciating, now it's just sore and I know it will go away eventually. So, recovery has been a breeze compared to before surgery, which it should be. Now I can concentrate on playing again and let me tell you, it's much better this way!!

Rockin' On!
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/29/2013 12:33 am
Whatsss trigger finger, pressciousss??
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.