Recording Acoustic guitar?

Kasperow
Kasperow
05/14/2013 2:50 pm
Hello, everyone.

I've got a quick question that I started thinking about earlier today, but I couldn't see any way to make it work...

How can I record things I play on my Acoustic Guitar? I've considered filming myself playing things on it, but I'd also like to just have the option to record the sound and not have any picture (if that makes sense), so I can listen to it on my phone, when I have time.

Is there anything you can do to record Acoustic Guitars without it being overly expensive?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
Meneer Zwijn
Meneer Zwijn
05/14/2013 2:58 pm
Maybe just use your phone and do it directly?
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
05/16/2013 4:38 pm
Is your acoustic an acoustic/electric?

If so, you can buy very inexpensive computer interfaces that allow you to hook your guitar up to a computer and record directly in. 50-100 bucks should set you up.

If not - I use my cell phone alllll the time to put down little ideas and what-not. It works but like you said, you end up with a video as well.

You can always do the old school method of a cheap cassette deck with a built in microphone. haha.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/16/2013 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIs your acoustic an acoustic/electric?

As far as I can see, it's 100% acoustic. It doesn't seem to have any electronic components on it, so recording might be easiest if I just use my phone's built-in voice-recorder (which I honestly hadn't noticed existed until earlier today...).
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
05/18/2013 4:13 pm
Do you have a DAW or anything? Like Pro Tools, Cubase, etc.

And what are you planning on doing? Is it just so you can listen to the music from your phone so you can get more ideas? Or do you want to mix it and release it as a song?

For phone, the iPhone has a good sound recorder.

As for mixing though, I would take the time to record acoustic guitar in a real studio.
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/19/2013 11:59 am
For the time being, it's mostly to record my acoustic guitar, listen to it and try to see if there's anything to improve audibly. With time, when I get better, I might record something in a professional studio, but for now, it's only for my own sake.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
05/21/2013 6:43 pm
If its for your own sake then you could just get a low-cost DAW like Ardour or Reaper (I think Ardour is basically free. You can donate $1 and get a full copy. Although I believe its only Mac OS and Linux). Reaper is pretty low cost like $30 I think.

Anyway, get a cheap M-Audio interface, mic cable, and cheap mic and you are good to go.

This way you can record yourself into your computer, but you can also make multiple tracks. Therefore you can experiment with layering different guitar parts, etc.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/audio-interfaces
# 7
maggior
maggior
05/21/2013 8:17 pm
Don't forget the mic stand :-).

I've seen where Musician's Friend will have package deals on Shure mics that include the mic, stand, and cable for $99.
# 8
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
06/03/2013 2:19 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorDon't forget the mic stand :-).

I've seen where Musician's Friend will have package deals on Shure mics that include the mic, stand, and cable for $99.

Hahah, true, I totally forgot about the mic stand!
# 9
guitarlessons1
guitarlessons1
06/23/2013 1:03 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowHello, everyone.

I've got a quick question that I started thinking about earlier today, but I couldn't see any way to make it work...

How can I record things I play on my Acoustic Guitar? I've considered filming myself playing things on it, but I'd also like to just have the option to record the sound and not have any picture (if that makes sense), so I can listen to it on my phone, when I have time.

Is there anything you can do to record Acoustic Guitars without it being overly expensive?

rodehare always been on Ok choice and a sm57
http://guitarlessonsuk.co.uk find your local tutor here!
http://guitarlessonsnottingham.com Nottingham Guitar Tutor
# 10
guitarlessons1
guitarlessons1
06/23/2013 1:06 pm
Rode mics or shure are great and inexpensive
http://guitarlessonsuk.co.uk find your local tutor here!
http://guitarlessonsnottingham.com Nottingham Guitar Tutor
# 11
Andrew Tintle
Andrew Tintle
07/17/2013 5:35 am
For now your phone will be a great way to capture your ideas (I use mine everyday), but when it comes time to produce a decent recording of your ideas, an interface is critical and digital audio workstation (DAW) are critical.

The DAW software Joseph mentioned is a great place to get started. As far as equipment goes, there are really great companies that are putting out high quality equipment at really reasonable prices. I just picked up a Focusrite Scarlett interface and it is working out awesome! Check out this package when you're ready - it has everything you need to get started!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarlettStu?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CM_ygqXltbgCFQeCQgod_EAAmw

Have fun!
# 12
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/28/2013 10:48 am
Like Andrew mentioned, look for a DAW. Some have used Reaper here and it is a very affordable shareware option with lots of great features. Or, if you want to spend a few extra dollars for a top of the line download at a very affordable price, Apple's Logic Pro download is $199.99 if you have a Mac.

With a DAW, you can get an affordable USB mic. I have the Yeti Blue and love the mic. It is huge and has multi directional options but so far is a great mic for a hundred bucks.

Key is, with a solid mic and a great DAW and some recording education (I suggest the Recording Revolution ....Graham is awesome and covers things like how to mic to how to mix and master), you can make some pretty sweets sound.
# 13
adicaire
adicaire
08/15/2013 3:21 am
The Tascam recorder is easy to use and records direct to mp3, and other formats. A bit more expensive (dr-05 is about $130). But the mic is includes, has input for external mic and output for buds or to feed a stereo input,

There are more expensive models too.
# 14
Reino Tulonen
Reino Tulonen
08/21/2013 8:15 am
There is this program called Reaper for computer, it's not really free but you get to use the trial version forever and it's got all the functions that the full version has. The basic recording is just 2 clicks away but if you really want to get into it there's plenty of buttons... So I recommend it!
# 15
David Portelli
David Portelli
08/31/2013 6:51 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowHello, everyone.

Here are some options:

1) You could buy an acoustic pick up which you can then attach to your computer and line record
2) You could buy a good microphone, especially made for this type of work

Of course the cheapest way to record would be to use your phone but I imagine you need good quality here - mind you, iPhones and iPads have EXCELLENT recording quality. Not studio quality of course but they are great to sketch song ideas out on and they are portable :)

/Dave
# 16
Kasperow
Kasperow
08/31/2013 8:53 am
Originally Posted by: David PortelliHere are some options:

1) You could buy an acoustic pick up which you can then attach to your computer and line record
2) You could buy a good microphone, especially made for this type of work

Of course the cheapest way to record would be to use your phone but I imagine you need good quality here - mind you, iPhones and iPads have EXCELLENT recording quality. Not studio quality of course but they are great to sketch song ideas out on and they are portable :)

/Dave

Yeah, I've looked into acoustic-pickups, and that might be the better option, since my HTC-smartphone has a horrible microphone in it (probably due to having been dropped... a lot...). I just honestly have no clue what to look for in pick-ups. I usually just buy them with a guitar already attached, and choose them by how they sound in the store.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.