View post (Is instrumental guitar a viable genre?)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/22/2013 3:03 am
Randy, I listened to your tune "The Key"... one thing I noticed is that after the main intro is over, the guitar solo that continues seems really under-mixed. If you're going for the guitar solo as the main feature, it really needs to stand out. Also, you do seem to be getting a bit into the dreaded "wall of sound"... I think you could probably benefit from working with a talented producer. Someone who may bring out your playing by mixing/producing your music in ways you haven't thought of.

The comments about needing to be melodic are spot on. Check out this tune by Satriani: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VZR1iBEg0

I showed that video to my wife and she liked it so much she immediately bought the song on i-Tunes. If you notice as well, the guitar is very prominent in the mix.

I think being melodic is part of the equation... but sadly I do think that being able to play fast is also part of it. Its kind of like figure-skating... no matter how smooth and flowing your moves and routine are, you're just not going to win if you can't do the big tricks, like a quad. The other part is showmanship (we're back to guitar playing now, you're on your own if you've decided to take up figure skating!). Playing great is one thing, but especially with that style of guitar, you need to be able to put on some sort of show. As Steve Vai says, "take your strengths and exaggerate them".

Lastly, you have to be comfortable in your own skin. Personally, I think its almost as if the harder you "try" to make it, the less likely you are to succeed. If you play for the joy of it, and just involve yourself in endeavors that allow you to express your passion, then its more likely that success will follow, and at least you had fun if it doesn't. God that sounds depressing, doesn't it?