View post (Originality: What It Is, Why You Want Some)

View thread

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
05/11/2013 5:07 pm
Thanks, mlimbolimbo! Happy to hear your creative wheels are turning.

And thank you LIMEY1 for the kind words. There's nothing wrong with playing covers, and it's especially cool when you can add something unique to them that might allow others to hear the song in a new and different way. I've always been a little funny about covers of certain artists and/or songs, but someone turned me on to a classical version of "Stairway to Heaven" once that was not too shabby. And the Flaming Lips did an admirable job on Floyd's Dark Side. So there you go. Good luck writing your own music.

I'm afraid originality isn't something that can be taught, Kasperow. There is no step-by-step method I can recommend, only suggestions to point you in the right direction. Everyone comes to originality in their own way. It's intuitive. What works for one guitarist may not work for another. Some guitarists, like Keith Richards, develop their own style naturally. Keith evolved his sound by practicing on a tour bus and listening to records by famous blues legends. Steve Vai, on the other hand, spent hours and hours in a college classroom learning extensive theory and practicing exotic scales. You should develop some measure of proficiency on the guitar before you start to work toward developing your own sound and style. It helps to know a little bit about what you’re doing and why you're doing it. This will give you the tools and the know-how to better express yourself. Once you have a grasp of the basics, start applying what you know to phrasing and improvising. Pay close attention to the styles of music, the choice of notes, and the different types of chords you're drawn to. Play around to see what music flows naturally out of you instead of consciously trying to force it. Take some of your favorite licks and put your own twist on them. Try some of the tips mentioned in the article. All this will help lead you to the start of developing your own sound and style. I hope this helps in some small way. :)