Mark Knopfler tone

Jack Tamble
Jack Tamble
04/25/2002 9:47 pm
Hello all, ive been learning "Sultans" and so far all is going well, except im having a hard time nailing Mark Knopflers tone. I know he does the fingerpicking thing, but as far as eq and amp settings go, effects, im stumped. When I use the Strat it sounds a little closer, but I just cant seem to dial the tone in, anyone have any ideas? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning"
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
04/26/2002 5:45 am
Well the Strat is a good place to start, it's the right guitar for the song. Since everybody sounds different even on the same equipment this is just a rough ball park estimation, so use the bridge/middle pick-up combination, plug straight into the amp, if your amp has a master volume, turn it up high and use your pre amp vol to bring the sound level up where you want it, very clean no distortion, for the tone controls, bass about a 1/4-1/2 up, treble probaly about 1/2-3/4 up, the midrange is the key, you're going to have to just play and adjust up as you go to find that sweet spot, you'll probaly find it somewhere around a 1/4-1/3 up, use a little reverb if you got it. The sound is really more of a country sound than rock&roll, I know when I first heard it, it really caught my ear, a sweet clean sound, not really pushing the amp at all, one more thing, try backing off the volume and tone pots on the guitar a little bit to take some of the bite off, and the right and left hands are really crucial to that sound too, it's not the typical rock, turn everything on 10, sound, sorry to be so long winded, but I love that tone, good luck and have fun with it!
# 2
Jack Tamble
Jack Tamble
05/09/2002 6:52 pm
Hey thanx man, sorry, I forgot I even had a post here. I tried your advice, and I gotta say thats pretty close. I hadda tweak the mids a bit, like you said. I added some compression also, and that REALLY cleaned it up. Your right, it is a country type tone, interesting. Ive just made it through the first solo, and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, the arps are cool. The last solo should be fun, especially since the tab I have is pretty inaccurate...its a good enough guide tho. Anyway, thanx again for the advice.
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning"
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.