View post (What to Do When You Hit a Plateau: Tips for Getting Unstuck)

View thread

maggior
maggior
04/11/2013 12:22 am
So thinking about this some more, I realized there are some other things that I have done that have helped me keep motivated and helped me over a plateau. Keeping moving sometimes is about maintaining some motivation, and some of this can help keep you motivated.

- Get a book on guitar repair and learn about maintaining your guitar itself. Learn about what a setup is and how to do one. Experiment with setup options on your own guitar (though maybe not truss rod adjustments to start with). It's a truely liberating feeling to be self sufficient with maintaining your setup.
- Experiment with your tone and focus on it. Play with your pickup selector switch, your tone control knobs on your guitar and amp.
- Try different string guages and see what impact it has on your playing and tone.
- Read up on your favorite guitarists' setups and gear.
- Buy a variety pack of picks and try different ones out. This sounds silly, but it helped me.
- Buy a slide and try out some slide techniques. This is currently in my plan.
- New gear!! A new axe can inspire you to play more and help carry you over a plateau. Disclaimer - use in small doses and don't fall under the spell of GAS, aka guitar acquisition syndrome, or gear acquisition syndrome. If you've been playing for a while and have a hankering for a new type of guitar, go to your local guitar shop and try some out. Perhaps you want one with with humbuckers rather than single coil, or vice versa; an acoustic to complement your electric, or vice versa. Maybe you bought a pracitce amp to start out and you are ready to move up to a "real amp". Try out tube amps.
- Try out and perhaps buy some effects pedals. Don't go nuts though since you don't want pedals to become a crutch.
- Learn about recording techniques, specifically related to recording the guitar. Should you use a DI (direct in) device or use a microphone? I have no idea...try both out! :-).
- Experiment with some recording, even some multitrack with free software like Audacity.
- Try out a different instrument. Maybe something as radical as piano or drums...or less radical like bass or ukelele.
- Try singing while you play.