How do YOU write songs that have lyrics?

Jahan Honma
Jahan Honma
04/03/2013 1:06 pm
The songwriting forum needs a thread so here it is.

Do you write the lyrics first and then put fitting music to it? Do you write music first and then put fitting lyrics to it? Do you have a method of coming up with both simultaneously? I have done all of these and the results are not better with one method than they are with another. I will say that for myself, the method I find easiest is to mess around on the guitar until I find something that I like and then try to think of another type of riff that would flow neatly after it until a whole song is done. Then I listen to it and think of what kind of scene in a movie this music would fit to and write lyrics that match that scene in my mind.

How about you?
Listen to FREE MUSIC from The Legendary Zoltan RIGHT HERE

FaceBook | Twitter | Website | YouTube
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
04/04/2013 2:10 am
I'm kind of like you, I come up with a cool riff and create a song structure from that, then kind of hum a melody and see what kind of words come out, then go from there.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
Jahan Honma
Jahan Honma
04/04/2013 6:27 am
In my case it is a bit easier because I do death metal vocals which don't have melodies. :)

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
04/06/2013 4:27 am
Is 'all the above' a cop out?

It's less about what method and more about what inspires me. I specifically created based on a string of lyrics that became the chorus. I have another based on a bass groove I had in mind and the rest fell in to place and yet another based on a guitar chord pattern that came to mind.

I should say this, they spend a lot of time in my head before I actually record them. I've found that a song fully renders itself in my head before I get it down including all the 'orchestrations' (ie - the different guitar parts, bass part, drum patter and other little things). I hear the whole song in my head before I commit to it.

different things in songs listen are for a variety of reasons so I think that reflects what I write and how I write it.
# 4
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/15/2013 2:47 am
Hey. Songwriting sure has many methods and ways, and it can be frustrating , but also very interesting to explore and find what works for you. I got some valuable tips to improve this journey (that has worked well for me) :

In music universities in composition they have students write only rhythm first, before putting on a single melody or harmony on it.

This does not directly apply to your question, but will help your songwriting big time.

Write out different rhythm patterns on paper BEFORE you touch your guitar to make sure you create music with your mind, and not your hands.
If you are unsure about notation, you can write simple dots.

Another useful tip you can do is to be clear on what you are writing for. It is usually a combination of these most common categories :

1 :Make people happy / being appreciated
2: God
3: Money
4: Self expression

Hope you find this useful
# 5
RussellNelson
RussellNelson
04/15/2013 4:00 am
I usually write all the music first but I think every song is different and should be giving special treatment. But usually I finish the music, record it, find the vocal melody (may take several tries to find the best melody possible), then I write 5 drafts of lyrics, pick the best one then tailor it to the melody and make sure it sounds good being sung in that melody. I think its very key to be picky during this stage and write the best lyrics you can. That's just what I do. Hopefully this helps.
# 6
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/15/2013 11:30 am
Thanks, very helpful to hear about your process
# 7
RussellNelson
RussellNelson
04/16/2013 2:33 am
Originally Posted by: Magnus GautestadThanks, very helpful to hear about your process

Thank you. Your response was also very insightful. I'll keep it in mind when I'm writing.
# 8
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/17/2013 12:50 am
Like all the different styles of songwriting I see!

The one I am trying to explore right now is doing a balance of two. I am finding that if I decide before hand... what experience, topic, mood, idea, feeling I want to express and write about, it's easier to write the lyrics and shape the music to support the idea.

On the flip... playing it by ear, from the gut has its pluses too. Best discoveries came from some really good mistakes. A lot like life.. I usually have a general idea but you gotta roll with it sometimes. Can't lead and direct all the time. At least I can't. =)

Think both have great advantages... why not use both. That's what I focusing on at the moment. Hope that helps as well.
# 9
RussellNelson
RussellNelson
04/17/2013 1:54 am
Thank you. You're tips were helpful as well.
# 10
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/17/2013 1:58 am
You got some good points there. Thanks for the reminders and insights bro
# 11
TravisWright
TravisWright
04/17/2013 9:14 pm
Magnus! Your method is so clearly defined and explained... love it bro! Leads to good direction, variation, and quicker writing time. Being deliberate is something I am working hard on DOING. Props bro
# 12
RussellNelson
RussellNelson
04/18/2013 5:13 pm
This is a great thread. Thank you for starting it Jahan. Lots of good ideas and insight on songwriting.
# 13
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
04/19/2013 10:25 am
I like variety and spontaneity. Some songs start out instrumentally and I start humming along, trying to get a word or phrase going, then build on it.

I also like the challenge of "shoehorning" prewritten words into a prewritten melody. This really expands your experience with phrasing. You have to find a melody that matches the words somewhat. I did this method a few times working with a lyricist.
# 14
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
04/22/2013 11:58 pm
it is a great topic..this thread really took off!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 15
Jahan Honma
Jahan Honma
04/24/2013 1:47 pm
Your welcome ;) Hahaha. I'm glad that some good discussion could come out of it. This one has nothing to do with guitars but when I write rap songs, I write the lyrics first and don't even worry about what the music could be. Then I write the drum beats to support while still not pay the slightest attention to the other music. After all that, I write music for it. It's pretty fun.

# 16
ly2sing
ly2sing
04/28/2013 12:06 am
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]The best songs begin with an inspiration, whether that be a lyric or a melody. The lyrics and melody should be compatible, and should not be forced. Sometimes I just start playing and singing sounds, and the melodies and lyrics start flowing together.

Having to sacrifice melody for lyric, or lyric for melody can be the most difficult challenge. Sometimes it's hard to let go when we marry ourselves to one or the other. Words tend to be easier to change than a good melody. Melodies are most important in songs. Consider, for instance, the lyrics of the 50s and 60s! Nothing but a Hound Dog? Tutty Fruity? Ain't That a Shame? ;)
[/FONT]
# 17
Sandie Nielsen
Sandie Nielsen
04/29/2013 8:17 am
Thank you Jahan for a great thread:)

Very interesting to read how people do it differently!

And that is exactly what i do.
Sometimes i write a lead melody first along with lyrics (that happens when i have a melody in my mind and i usually put lyrics to it right away) and then i either go to the piano or the guitar and then i find a good chordstructure. Then i will define the timesignature and tempo and record it with a click. When that is down, it is so much easier to hear more melodies that should be in the song while listening to the recording, as well as drums.
Another way is starting with a chordstructure on the piano. Then listen for a melody line, and put lyrics to that. I have a folder full of ideas to lyrics, and it happens many times that when i write them, in that moment i dont know how to use them, but maybe 6 months later i write a piece of music, and i go back to those lyrics, and they seem to be made for that song!
A third way for me is to make a riff on the guitar, or a melody, i then record it and find chordstructure to support it. I still have songs with no lead melody nor lyrics, cause i just havnt found the right thing yet, but i know it will come:)
As Magnus said as well, writing a rhythm first is also an effective way of doing it, i did it at the musicacademy i went to, and i was sceptical at first, but it really did work! And i got some good songs out of it!

So yes, a bit of strucure, inspiration and imagination is what you need:)
# 18
Magnus Gautestad
Magnus Gautestad
04/30/2013 2:43 am
Sandie, thanks for sharing your methods. Very helpful. It is like you say, it varies. Some ideas need to be born in different ways, so it only make it easier to get the ideas through

Let's make some
# 19
Connorcaswell
Connorcaswell
04/30/2013 5:12 am
You can write music in so many ways its halarious. What YOU need to do is find a way or technique that CLICKS with you. Find out how you write, and if you don't know then start one at a time and narrow it down. Also go to Tomhess.net and you can read a lot of TRUE articles that WORK about ways to write songs. This WILL boost your career or songwriting abilities if you put tthe time and effort into checking out his website.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.