Which band or artist presented you to rock?

Excellector06
Full Access
Excellector06
Full Access
01/07/2014 2:23 am
Hmm...I'm seeing a lot of good bands that I know many of the songs of, but I guess I'm going to be part of a slightly younger generation (on average.) I've studied music for a bit, playing in band all through high school, and have developed a love of symphony music and the all around sounds of string(ed?) instruments. However, I also love the intensity of rock/metal that isn't always found in symphonies.

My current favorite band does a good job of blending the two genres, providing the edge of rock with the thick, full theory of symphony composition, and they are without a doubt the band that inspired me to grab a guitar. The band is Kamelot and, though they recently had a lead singer change, the lead guitarist Thomas Youngblood was (and still is) a founding member. Take a looksee if you have the feels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSylbQEHhVo

I'm also a big fan of The Police/Sting. Though I was younger and they really never inspired me to follow their path, I listened to them for countless hours and want to learn more than a few of their songs.
Our lives are one, colliding up and beyond
In this fatal possibility
~Coheed and Cambria, Gravity's Union
# 1
ravens_creed
ravens_creed
01/11/2014 9:44 pm
Without getting too carried away with the possible ways to answer this question, I would have to, in all fairness, crown two very deserving and equal champions:

1. Guns 'n Roses - Having been born in 1980, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that GnR was the first band I chose to get into (as opposed to what was available in my parents' album collection) when I became old enough to take interest in such things. Ah, those sweet, sweet pre-pubescent years. On top of being mesmerized by Slash's signature guitar playing, I remember feeling like a big rebel every time Axel dropped the F-bomb in "You're Crazy" (the acoustic version, of course!). :P

2. Led Zeppelin - GnR might have been my first true rock love, but no band has left its mark on me over the years as Zep has. While certainly being among my favorite bands of all-time, I have learned more about rock and why I appreciate what I do within the genre (and even outside of the genre) and what I enjoy learning and playing on the guitar, through Led Zeppelin than any other band or artist.

Sometimes songs grow on you, but other times you're drawn to them instantly, you know, that feeling of instant-mesmerization. I have had that feeling through Led Zeppelin songs over the years more than any other artist. Even after thinking I had conquered all of their material, I was still unexpectedly treated to that first-time experience on two separate occasions, and I remember feeling consciously duped that there were still songs of theirs that could do that to me both times. I thought I had discovered and overplayed it all. Apparently not. The songs were "Ten Years Gone" from the Physical Graffiti album, and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" from the lesser-known album Presence.
# 2
ravens_creed
ravens_creed
01/11/2014 10:05 pm
I have to admit, in the very beginning, the way in which rock was presented to me was through a specific song and not so much a band/artist. The earliest memory I have of listening to music of any kind that wasn't my Sesame Street or Raffi ("Baby Beluga" or "Down by the Bay", anyone?) albums was when I figured out how to get into my dad's cabinet where he kept his record and tape players. It was well established that I was never to touch his record player, but the tape deck didn't have a similar policy in effect, and it was much easier for me (at age... 5? 6?) to operate anyhow. The one tape I would choose over and over again to put in and then only listen to the first song, was a mix tape my dad had made of some of his favorite songs at the time (mid-80s). The song that introduced me to rock, and, really, all music outside of children's music, was this one... (talk about a big first step into "real" music :P).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4VFFBCa5Aw

And, here is the link for the GuitarTricks lesson for it:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=18167&s_id=1396
# 3
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/14/2014 3:12 am
I still clearly remember my dad showing me Jeff Beck when I was in kindergarden. Think it was You Had It Coming.
# 4
gbowerman
Full Access
gbowerman
Full Access
05/16/2014 9:36 pm
Skeeter Davis
I have never been able to find the song again, but in about 1963 I spent a lot of time waiting for this song on my tinny AM radio. I may actually have heard it again, because I've listened to a lot of her stuff since. But I probably didn't recognize it because I didn't start looking for it until 40 years had passed.
# 5
smyrnamj
smyrnamj
05/20/2014 1:08 pm
I just can't believe Keith Richards beat out Jeff Beck on that list, who makes those lists anyway?
My list would have Jeff Beck second only to Jimi Hendrix
# 6
Me and myself
Me and myself
05/20/2014 2:19 pm
Slash, one of the greatest guitarists of all time, influenced me to play rock n roll. His unique musical style has inspired me to be a musician. Hands down to Slash!
# 7
BOBZILLA1
BOBZILLA1
05/20/2014 3:34 pm
Back in High School,a friend had gotten to go see UFO play at Chicago's International AMPITHEATER,I couldn't go,but,the Concert was Simulcast on "THE LOOP" FM 98 in Chicago,...the FIRST TIME I Heard Michael Schenker Play,I KNEW I HAD TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY GUITAR!
He's been My BIGGEST Influence for over 30 years with "A FEW" Others,lol. I just love his Style and how he can SHRED and Pull Back for Simple but KILLER Blues Pentatonic Scale Riffs. I ALSO Love MATTHIAS JABS from the SCORPIONS. THANKS And CRANK IT UP!!
# 8
dark41
dark41
05/20/2014 5:05 pm
I was a fan of many great guitarists in the '70s and 80's such as Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen. But when Randy Rhoads joined Ozzy it changed my life. I had to learn guitar. Since then I've loved him and hated him, as I love to listen to his work, but hated that I'll never be able to play like Randy did. His conversions of classical music to hard rock/metal were amazing and a first at the time. Not only did he continue to learn until his untimely death, but he gave lessons to some guitarists who are now considered legends. RIP Mr. Rhoads, you were one of a kind and a true inspiration for me. :)
# 9
OldSouledHippie
OldSouledHippie
05/20/2014 6:15 pm
I'd have to say Bon Jovi and Aerosmith introduced me to rock music. My parents blasted their music when I was a baby. As I got older and started taking more interest in the music field, I started wanting to learn how to play their songs.
# 10
cheach351
cheach351
05/21/2014 10:18 am
me its was and always going to be metallica they have so many good song
# 11
Dave1963
Dave1963
05/21/2014 9:40 pm
For me it was Rush. The 2112 album had just came out. I first saw them in concert in late 70s on the Farewell to the Kings tour. And although there are many other groups and guitarist's that have influenced me, Alex Lifeson of Rush has always been on the top.
# 12
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/29/2014 11:23 pm
Well I think my dad first showed me You Had It Comin' by Jeff Beck when I was a wee lad. Oh and also Revolver and Rubber Soul by Beatles were mixed in there as well, probably all around kindergarden or pre-school.
# 13
Gabe568
Gabe568
06/02/2014 11:59 am
Elvis, Chuck, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, but my Fave C'mon everybody - Eddie Cochran... :))
# 14
Thomas Orner
Thomas Orner
06/26/2014 3:47 am
Wow, I grew up in Detroit early 70s and my Dad had me open up this new album which read Nazareth: "Razamanaz" 1973? something like that...?
and the main tune they were known for was Hair of the Dog. Now keep in mind that I'm going off memory and it's not too good but I can remember thinking this is the coolest sound and the pic on the album was amazing. I'm going to look that song up and see if I can play it on the old guitar now that I drift down that memory lane....lol But overall Rush 2112 ruled the day and concerts for the most part prior to Van Halen, best concerts I can remember.
# 15
linda p
linda p
06/28/2014 11:02 pm
I started listening to Ricky Nelson an Brian Hyland. Then came the Motown sound, loved the Temtations. But when the Beatles came to the US I was begging my Mom to buy me a guitar. These guys took us all by storm after I saw them at Shea Stadiumn it was all she wrote, sadly there was no one in my area that taught guitar so I never really learned till self taught CD's came out. NOW.....I have GT its like heaven. An one more minor thing..........PAUL MC IS STILL HERE!!!!! Linda P
# 16
Hardy53
Full Access
Hardy53
Full Access
12/05/2014 2:01 pm
Nun mal auf Deutsch: eine ganze Menge an Bands, angefangen mit den Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kings, Hollies und natĆ¼rlich Roy Orbison und Bob Dylan!
# 17
tbpilot78
tbpilot78
12/05/2014 2:44 pm
Eric clapton is my biggest inspiration but harrison and hendrix are right there with him.
# 18
bunger47
bunger47
12/05/2014 3:17 pm
The first time that I heard a live electric guitar was in 1961. I suppose it was a junior high talent show in Tucson. This guy played an instrumental version of Walk Right In...sit right down...baby let you hair hang down. I remember the little girls just SCREAMING for the guy with the pompador hair do. I was amazed at the wonderful sound of that guitar and the girl-reaction. Years later, I bought my first album, it was an instumental called The Venturers in Space which I played until the grooves wore out. Then for Christmas when I was 16, I finally got my electric guitar. It was a burgandy with white trim Silvertone with the case that had the amp built right in. It has been a wonderful marriage ever since. Now it is a strat and a tele. What great investments they have all been....still waiting for the screaming girls though.
Bill
# 19
satch1975
satch1975
12/05/2014 7:12 pm
My first group Manovar 1988 year,Metallica 1986 year,Tony Macalpine(maximum security!!!),
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.