View post (1976 Super Reverb)

View thread

turkeyjerky214
Full Access
turkeyjerky214
Full Access
02/28/2013 5:42 pm
Thanks for the responses, guys. aschleman, when I say full, I mean the sound you get from 4 speakers instead of just 2. I've played in front of half stacks and 4x10 combos, and to me at least, it just feels like there's a lot more sound at the same or even lower volumes than my Twin.

When I bought my Twin, I was coming from a crappy solid state Crate amp and just flat out didn't realize how loud 85 watts out of a tube amp would be. I ended up getting a Power Soak after a while which I have cranked all the way down when I'm practicing by myself.

I really love the tone of my amp. After a year of playing on it, though, I realize I like the feel of a 4x10 or half stack better than 2x12s.

I posted this question on a couple other forums, and it turns out that '76 was the year they changed the Supers from 45 watts to 70. They did this in the middle of the year, so this amp could be either. It seems that the consensus is that if it's a 45 watt Super Reverb and is actually in perfect condition, go for it. If it's the 70 watt version and has ultra-linear output transformers, I should pass.