Static Noises

froggy62
froggy62
02/03/2013 4:43 pm
I have a new HOLLOW body and have minor static that I hear on it. I have had other guitars with the same but this is minor and doesnt't drive me crazy, yet. I have heard it is mostly on new guitars with the pic guard new glossy surface is the cause guy on 300guitars.com had a few views on scoch briting the back of pick guard and even copper tape. Also dryer sheets. Any other ideas. Hoping this static does not make me nuts b4 I eliminate it completly. I am a TV distribution tec by trade and I have found that static does build up in the wiring and even the amp but is easy to discharge. I addressed that hear at home with my guitar and amp. Any other ideas?
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/03/2013 9:40 pm
Single coil pickups?

Noise gate would be an option in reducing the sound
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/04/2013 8:25 pm
I noticed the same...when by fingers brushed or rested on the scratch gurard of my semi-hollow body electric while strumming. There was no question it was static caused by such as when I didn't allow my fingers to touch the guard there was no such sound. Further, when I wet my fingers, to eliminate the dryness causing the static, the sound disappeard until my fingers were dry again.

I worried about the guitar and worried about the interference caused by my technique until I decided it was probably a bad habit on my part and I forced myself to change. That eliminated the noise but the potential (pun intended ;) ) remains.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.