New Guitar

duck7264
duck7264
01/24/2013 6:52 pm
Hello All,

I am considering buying a new electric guitar and have been looking at and reading up on the squire by fender. I don't have a lot of money to spend(300-350)and was curious if anyone here could give me a heads up on this guitar. They have like a 60's vintage in a sea foam green that I really like, it's called surf. Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Please also feel free to interject all opinions on any guitatrs in this price range. I know I'm not going to get the best, I just want something that is the best quality for this amount of money.

Thanks all,
Duck
# 1
compart1
compart1
01/26/2013 5:51 pm
Hey again duck.. Wished I'd read this post first.. looks like a nice guitar but I can't inject any info..
good luck with the hunt
# 2
JCat55
JCat55
02/10/2013 11:28 am
Hey Duck,

The Squier isn't a bad guitar for the price, but you will most likely want something a little better very soon, since that is considered a "student" model. If you look around on craigslist, eBay, etc. you will find many used Fender MIM Teles in your price range. A lot of these are in very good condition. I guess there are a lot of people who take up guitar and then lose interest, so they sell them at a loss.

Do you have even the slightest mechanical skills?..if so you might consider what I recently did. I wanted a Thinline Tele but couldn't spend too much, so I bought a Chinese knock-off Thinline on www.rondomusic.com for $160 and swapped the neck out with a new Mighty Mite neck ($90). I also replaced the nut with a TUSQ and replaced the tuners w/ Fender tuners. I now have a guitar that plays as nice as my real Fender MIM Tele and total cost was just under $300 - that is half the price I paid for my MIM Tele. I was assuming you were looking for a Squier Tele, but if you want a Strat, pretty much the same applies. Good hunting!
Judge a band by the guitars they keep. If there are no Telecasters in play,move on.
# 3
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
Nikki Thedog
Full Access
02/24/2013 5:09 pm
Epiphone makes some fairly good guitars in that price range. If it's strictly Fender models you want, then I guess Squire is your best bet but like JCAT stated it IS considered a student model. Check pawn shops out, and local dealers who possibly have used guitars for sale. Good luck...
# 4
JCat55
JCat55
02/25/2013 11:38 am
69deville - you are right about Epiphones, they have some very nice guitars in that price point. In fact, I have an ES 339 sitting in my "cart" on MF, just waiting for my tax refund. I have been inspired by Anders' blues lessons to get that type of guitar next....but it is difficult for me to stray since I am such a Tele fanatic - I always want another Tele! But another one of those may have to wait since I really would like an acoustic/electric Epiphone Masterbilt like Lisa plays in her lessons. As they say...so many guitars...so little time.
Judge a band by the guitars they keep. If there are no Telecasters in play,move on.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.