why is everything related to the Maj scale in stead of the Chromatic one?

Whune
Full Access
Whune
Full Access
01/18/2013 2:04 pm
Wouldn't it make so much more sense to relate everything to the 12 tones
instead of 7?

Chromatic - I - II - III IV - V - VI -VII -VIII IX- X - XI- XII
------------- A - A# B -C - C#- D - D# -E - F - F#- G -G#

major ------ I - --- III - - - V - VI - - - -VIII - - X - - - XII

minor------- I - - - III-IV - - - -VI - - --VIII- IX - - -XI

blues-------- I - - - ---IV - ---- VI- VII - VIII - - -- -XI
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/18/2013 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: WhuneWouldn't it make so much more sense to relate everything to the 12 tones instead of 7?[/quote]
No, because it leads to conceptual & perceptual confusion.

Yes, we eventually can learn that the chromatic scale is the complete palette, or total "background information" available. But to start making sense of sound & organize it into music, it is necessary (historically & conceptually) to grasp pitch specific tones in this order:

Root & octave: two tones, with the higher one exactly double in frequency.
Root, fifth & octave: Split the octave in half (ratio of 1.5 or 3:2) and you get the 5th.
Root, major 3rd, fifth, octave: Split the root & fifth in half and you get (roughly) the major 3rd.

At this point you've got a major chord: 1st, major 3rd, 5th, 8th. This is a big step!

Now we can "fill in the gaps". Most primitive cultures did this until they arrived at some form of a pentatonic scale:

1st, 2nd, major 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th.

Or: 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th.

See what's missing so far? Eventually, the early Greeks (and probably other early cultures in East Asia) figured out that you could further subdivide pitches into half-steps. That was a big step forward, also!

Finally, we fill in the gaps until there are only whole-steps or half-steps:

1st, 2nd, major 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

The major scale. :)

The reason this was important historically & conceptually is that we are talking about sound being used as music, as art. So, the people studying it were trying to use it in a practical way, to sing songs, or make melodies on instruments. There was not necessarily a way to "get right to" something as complex or more advanced as the chromatic scale without going through the earlier steps.

Present day, we do in fact use the chromatic scale as our complete palette background from which to draw all musical materials. But when we teach beginners, we start with the conceptual beginning.
[QUOTE=Whune]
Chromatic - I - II - III IV - V - VI -VII -VIII IX- X - XI- XII
------------- A - A# B -C - C#- D - D# -E - F - F#- G -G#

Again, using Roman Numerals for scale degrees causes confusion because they are primarily reserved for chord progressions.

Hope this helps!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/19/2013 4:26 am
Wow, what a great response! Christopher, it makes me feel guilty that I'm currently not a paying member (I will be again though, just gotta finish home renos).

Whune, did you order that book yet that I suggested in the other forum? You really should if you haven't already... its right up your alley and you'll love it, I promise. And just to clarify, I'm not saying "get the book, don't watch Christopher's lessons" at all.. I'm saying do both. Its not a "text book" as in "Ahem.. this is how we play guitar.. the first string is E..." zzzzz snore... Its a workbook for the fretboard. It will make clear to you pretty much everything you're asking about... you do these little exercises, on paper, not even with the guitar... and a lot of this stuff will become very clear.

I don't know if you're a Steve Vai fan or not, but if not, you might want to read about him a bit and listen to some of his stuff. Like you, he was very contentious about understanding the theory behind what he played.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/19/2013 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardWow, what a great response![/quote]
Glad you found value in it. :)

No worries about feeling guilty! I know you've been a member for a while & that you've paid for subscriptions in the past. Thank you for contributing to the forum in a valuable way.
[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]
...I'm not saying "get the book, don't watch Christopher's lessons" at all.. I'm saying do both.

Great advice!

There are quite a few Steve Vai articles & interview vids on the web to check out. He is very serious about his craft, as well as has a great sense of humor & some insightful stories to tell about working as a musician.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.