Carry On Wayward Son / Kansas

wolbai
wolbai
01/02/2013 9:10 pm
Carry On Wayward Son was issued as a single in 1976 as one of the most famous songs from Kansas. In the tender age of 15 years this was one of my hymn in these days.

And according to singles in the 70s you could have easily through in 3 guitar solos, drive your Band and the audience into madness with 12/8 beats and you could spice the song with lots of intricate bridges.

Hip Bands used to play these type of songs in sports halls around my hometown. Sounds a little bit like the stories my grandpa has told me about World War I ... but nevertheless it is a beneficial memory to me

36 years later I am exercising this awesome song with my band. And you can have a tough time of it with (our keyboarder has 16 pages of notes for this song - thank God! I am not able to read notes ).

But - all in all - it is a real master piece of Progressive Rock.

I have found for the recording a quite good playback (Vocals, Keyboard, Bass, Drums):

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/kansas/carry_on_wayward_son_%285%29.htm

I am using the Marshall JCM 800 amp model in the Line 6 POD HD500 which fits good to the original guitar sound to me.

For Live Performance I will use my Line6 DT50/212 (Tube) amp and the corresponding pre amp model.

I have recorded all guitar parts with my James Tyler Variax JTV59 using the magneitc PUs. There are several PU-knob changes and guitar volume knob changes through out the song.

I always appreciate the levelled guitar neck on the rear of my JTV59 + 69 when I have to play a high E note (effectively the 24th fret). At my Gibson Les Paul this is more challenging to me.

I am not completly through the whole song. But the 70s vibe should come across.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12078944&q=hi&newref=1

Thanks for reading and listening.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.