Raymee

raymee
raymee
12/24/2012 6:47 pm
Not a full member yet. Trying to decide. Seems to be a small amount of teaching g for acustic and whole lot for electric guitar. Any body help on this decision?
# 1
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/24/2012 7:22 pm
Are you just starting out? New to guitar?

I and many others did the Fundamentals courses using an acoustic even though virtually all of the lessons were taught on an electric. I, like others, have done the Country Style within the Core Learning System on acoustic although the lessons are taught on a mix of acoustic and electric guitars.

My point is if you are starting out on guitar, it should make no difference which guitar you or the instructor are using. IMO, specific techniques may relate to specific guitar use in different music (sub)genres. But for the most part, and for those learning guitar, guitars are guitars...the fundamentals are the same for either acoustic or electric. Or amplified acoustic. ;)

There are parts of my own practice regimen in which I switch between acoustic and electric throughout the week. Different sound, different feel and playability but the fingering is the same.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
raymee
raymee
12/24/2012 10:03 pm
Thank you for reply. Your thoughts are causing me to lean towards becoming a full member. Input from others is a good thing. Thank you.
# 3
raymee
raymee
12/24/2012 10:06 pm
Thank you for reply. Your thoughts are causing me to lean towards becoming a full member. Input from others is a good thing. Thank you.
# 4
Jeremy-H
Jeremy-H
12/25/2012 4:02 am
Just for another opinion, I've just finished Fundamentals 1 and 2, using my acoustic. Most of the teaching in those blocks are done on an electric, but everything is exactly the same. My sound is a little different, but the notes are exactly the same as long as you're in tune. I've started the Blues 1 section now and still, everything is the same. The fundamentals of the guitar are the same whether your using an electric, a steel acoustic or a classical with nylon strings. As near as I can tell, other than when you eventually get to the effects sections and some specific lessons in other styles it won't matter if you've got an acoustic. I haven't found it to be an issue with my learning at all.
# 5
raymee
raymee
12/25/2012 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Jeremy-HJust for another opinion, I've just finished Fundamentals 1 and 2, using my acoustic. Most of the teaching in those blocks are done on an electric, but everything is exactly the same. My sound is a little different, but the notes are exactly the same as long as you're in tune. I've started the Blues 1 section now and still, everything is the same. The fundamentals of the guitar are the same whether your using an electric, a steel acoustic or a classical with nylon strings. As near as I can tell, other than when you eventually get to the effects sections and some specific lessons in other styles it won't matter if you've got an acoustic. I haven't found it to be an issue with my learning at all.

Thanks for the feedback!
# 6
raymee
raymee
12/29/2012 8:04 pm
Originally Posted by: raymeeNot a full member yet. Trying to decide. Seems to be a small amount of teaching g for acustic and whole lot for electric guitar. Any body help on this decision?

Yes, I became a full member today. Starting in beginner two. After much procrastination I feel that I did the right thing.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.