Metal passive pickups

danielch666
danielch666
12/02/2012 7:28 pm
I want to change my pickups for new ones but I don't know wich ones are good for play metal... I'm thinking in buy passive Seymour Duncan distortion SH-6, the invader SH-8 or the D-activator from DiMarzio. Can someone help me with this plz. I have a Jackson Randy Rhoads with Tune-o-matic bridge.
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
12/05/2012 11:17 pm
I'm a big fan of the Seymour JB model pickup, I know Dave from Megadeth uses this one.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
Lutz Richter
Lutz Richter
01/02/2013 2:11 am
Seymour Duncan is a good idea. I like them very much. By the way, I have a Jackson RR 1 with the original Seymour Duncan pickups. I' m pleased with this
# 3
evilleprachaun
evilleprachaun
01/02/2013 8:06 pm
I agree with Neal on the Duncan JB,They are a awesome pick up.But,I am using the Duncan distortion and this pick up sounds amazing.The DiMarzio super Distortion is another killer pick up but sometimes using a weaker pick up sounds a little better depending on how much gain and distortion your using.When im saying weaker pick up I mean dont always go with the pick up with the highest output as sometimes it can really muddy up your tone!Hope this helps!Cheers!
# 4
Owen Gillett
Owen Gillett
01/05/2013 2:43 am
Hi,

I love Seymour Duncans, I have passive seymours 4 of my guitars and active (Blackouts) in one of them. Also EMG actives in another. It's all a matter of flavour and taste really... and how you play.

Personally I have found for metal you can have more a powerful rhythm sound with passive pickups as they effectively have more "bounce" ie dynamic range. If your right hand is doing the right thing then I think you can get more expression from passive pickups. Just my experience...
For lead I think it's a matter of taste again.

But anyhow, maybe this means your original pickups are fine? Unless there is a reason you need to change them, I kind of agree with Lutz and the other fellow that they are probably good to stay.

If you are dissatisfied with your tone, I would look at your amp before changing pickups!

Cheers and good luck,

Owen Gillett
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.