View post (I need advice)

View thread

maggior
maggior
01/30/2013 6:17 pm
The original poster probably already made his choice, but I thought I'd chime in with a very recent experience.

I went into guitar center a couple of weeks ago to try out a Line 6 Spider IV. Based on my research, I thought that was the amp for me. Playing through it at the store, it seemed sterile and didn't offer anything beyond my 12 year old kidney bean POD. I was dissapointed and I asked the sales person for suggestions of other simple "basic" amps. He plugged me into a Peavey ValveKing 112. It was a surreal experience for me - wow! The dynamics and drive of this thing just blew me away immediately. And this all tube amp at 50W cost exactly the same as the Line 6 amp I was looking at. I was dumbfounded.

I'm a very firm believer now in going out and trying stuff out first hand and forming your own opinion. I would have made a very big mistake otherwise.

So take what others suggest into account (I suggest going with a tube amp), but take the time to try equipment out and form your own opinion.