Unique scale theory source?

u10ajf
u10ajf
04/14/2002 2:00 pm
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd tell you all about some research I did a couple of summers ago. I found out the maximum number of notes that different scale forms have in common with each other and wrote it all down in a table. Modes of the same scale were discounted. I have about 40 scale forms down between 5 and 8 notes/octave. Using the "scale affinity table" it's possible to find ways of moving between different scale forms altering only one note at a time (the assumption being that this reduces discords).

If you want to see it go to http://www.Classaxe.com (my brother's website) then click on friends, then Andrew F., then Music theory. My brother posted it all on his site which was cool of him.

If you find any mistakes (e.g. wrong values) please let me know so I can change them.

Feel free to use or distribute the information (short of selling it on which would kinda defeat the spirit of this whole thing and would piss me off given the work I put in) to friends or whoever.

Hope you find it useful.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/14/2002 5:26 pm
Very good stuff there, that's how I see my fretboard, except I'm too lazy to actually write it out. Lots of work! Keep it up!
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/16/2002 9:53 pm
I expect some smart computer graphics bod could probably make some kind of network with all the scales with the same number of notes showing how they fit together like some crazy food chain diagram.
What would be really smart would be plugging all these scales into some fretboard graphics application saving people having to draw them all out by hand. I saw a website somewhere which allowed you to make fretboard diagrams for a few scale forms, darn useful.

I need a collaborator.. any offers?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/16/2002 10:03 pm
It already exists, and it's in another thread, maybe someone can dig it up, I'm too lazy to do it myself...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.