Extra unwanted sounds when playing....Help!

The Duke of New York
The Duke of New York
11/01/2012 8:25 pm
Hello all,

Whenever I practice single note melodies to a particular song, no matter what I do I get these unwanted extra sounds from the other strings I am not trying to play. I know I am supposed to try and mute these other strings with my right palm while picking the notes I want but I cannot seem to do it without also muting what I want to play. I have read books, seen videos etc.. but nothing works. If I try to mute out the strings I am not playing I lose the ability to play what I need to. Basically, it always sounds muddled with background string noise when playing single notes. I am getting frustrated and beginning to think my playing will always not sound right and a little sloppy. Can anyone help?? Thank you all,

Jim.
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/01/2012 11:23 pm
We know exactly what you mean. Please check out the first chapter of guitar fundamentals. We spend a lot of time going over this very thing. You will get past it, don't get discouraged.

Let us know how it goes?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
The Duke of New York
The Duke of New York
11/02/2012 12:22 am
Thank you for your reply Jon. I finished guitar fundamentals one but will go back to see if I can review this area.

Thank you for the quick reply,

Jim
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2012 1:33 pm
Hey, Jim.
Originally Posted by: jpolito

Whenever I practice single note melodies to a particular song, no matter what I do I get these unwanted extra sounds from the other strings I am not trying to play.

You've got the right idea that you supposed to mute other strings. But not only with your right hand (picking palm). Your left hand (fretting hand) also plays a big part in this! In fact, it's rare that your left hand will not mute something when you are playing just about anything.

I cover left hand muting here in GF1:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=358

Have a look there, first to get the overall concept. Then, have a look through the single note melodies later in GF1 Chapter 4. In each melody you can see examples of how I mute unwanted sound with the sides & pads of my fingers. Just enough pressure, lightly resting against a string will usually do the job.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=436

It's often best to start by placing your fingers near the notes you need to play, then look for opportunities to mute the others strings based upon where your fingers are at the time.

It's a process of constant refinement. So, be on the look out for how other instructors are also left hand muting & be patient! :)

Hope this helps. Please ask more if necessary. Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
The Duke of New York
The Duke of New York
11/03/2012 3:24 pm
Hi Chris. Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am currently in GF 2 with you and after trying for so long to keep my fingers hitting each note cleanly without touching other strings, now I realize I might have to touch these other strings to mute them. I guess this will take some serious time adjusting to this reality. But I cannot stand the "noise" when playing single notes so I will have to keep trying out your advice here and your lessons back in the early stages of your GF 1 course.

You are an excellent musician and instructor!

Jim.
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/05/2012 4:51 pm
Hey, Jim. You are welcome for the reply.
Originally Posted by: jpolitoI am currently in GF 2 with you and after trying for so long to keep my fingers hitting each note cleanly without touching other strings, now I realize I might have to touch these other strings to mute them.

I'm glad to hear you are working through the Fundamentals! :) Those courses were intended & designed to be watched, used & practiced multiple times. As you progress, improve & refine your knowledge & skills, you can always go back over any section of it & gain more insight each time.

Thanks for the compliments. I sincerely appreciate it. Best of success to you!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.