View post (Bee in My Guitar ?)

View thread

hunter1801
hunter1801
09/14/2012 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: RTokarsI'm concerned they might say "hey, you have new strings...there's nothing wrong with it...sounds ok to me".
It's a Hohner acoustic, about 15-18 y/o. Do guitars have a life time and then should no longer be played?
How do I download a picture or video file so you can hear the bee?[/QUOTE]

Just because the strings are new, doesn't mean they should buzz. New strings should sound clean.

Guitars do not have a lifespan. Otherwise there would be no such thing as "vintage" guitars. The only time they become unplayable is if they were a cheap guitar to begin with or through damage over time. You can have a guitar for a lifetime and it could play great if you just do even the basic maintenance things.

Do you know the model of the guitar? Might be printed on the headstock or inside the guitar. Don't necessarily think you have to go through the trouble of uploading a video. Pictures would be helpful, but I just wanted the model number so I can just google it and see pictures there. If you do have some pics of your own, you would have to upload them to a different site (like imageshack) and give us the link here.

[QUOTE=RTokars]Someone told me the grooves in the nut may be worn down. Does that make sense? Does that happen? How would you heighten the action? Get a new nut or bridge ?

They could be. That would make the strings sit lower and closer to the frets (lower action). But that is just 1 possibility. Could be that the bridge is worn down, or they filed it down too much. Depending on how your guitar is built, there are different ways to lower/raise the action.

To lower action on an acoustic, a lot of times they will file down the nut and/or bridge. Just shave it down so that the strings sit lower. If they did too much of this, then you will get buzz. They should pay for a new nut/bridge if you need it if they filed it down too much.

To raise action on an acoustic is a whole other story. On an electric, you can just adjust the screws to lower/raise. Since an acoustic doesn't have screws and only uses the bridge/nut, then you can't raise it without just buying new ones.

Try to identify where the buzzing is coming from. Pluck the string and try to see where it might be vibrating against a fret. Is it closer to the nut, or to the bridge?