Sounding 'fast'

Gulder
Gulder
04/09/2002 9:04 pm
Hi there

I'm in with another problem :) I've been learning some runs to enquier speed and strength. Well, after some days playing those runs over and over again I decided to record a couple to compare with the examples. Well, I tought I was as fast as the examples, but damn, when I heard the records it sounded so slow, not even close to the actual speed. Well, I analysed it and came to the conclusion that the amount of seconds was exactly the same as the examples. The only thing that was different was that I played without an effect and the example was played with an effect. How is it that an effect can make so much difference ? I have a Boss Me-33 which I plug directly into my PC (don't worry it has a special option so it wont damage any hardware) because I don't have an *amp. Does it have something to do with reverb/delay or something ? I don't really know alot about amps and effects and stuff. So please, tell me which effects I should compose to make is sound 'fast'. If it's not clear I'll post a sound example to show you what I mean.

*amp: I do have one, a small Fender 5watt, but I hardly use it. I'm waiting for the new big ones from Stagg. The amps are pretty cheap for what they offer. I've heard that they are pretty good (but ofcourse that was some salesman chatter). Can anyone tell me if they are any good ?

Anyway, thank you !
Gulder
# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/10/2002 6:42 am
Honestly, using effect to sound fast is a little bit like cheating. Of course, delay effects can make you sound really fast but it´s not it as when it´s only distortion and maby wah-wah. But, listen to Petruccis solo on Sourrounded (Images An Word). Talk about fast delay.

My advice to you is to keep on playng those runs until you can get them as fast as examples whitout delay. It´s possible so don´t give up ´cause you´ll be very proud of your self later.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/12/2002 12:42 am
The Petrucci solo on Surrounded isn't cheating; - there's no other way to get that bouncing stereo effect he uses and it sounds amazing. I can't stand the thought of people doubling their pace with effects boxes, happily such methods are limited in the control the possess over the timing of the notes, it makes all the effort of learning to really play worthwhile!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.