Is this all?

TheDirt
TheDirt
04/08/2002 9:10 pm
I've been playing a good while now, having been lucky enough to started learning theory when I started playing guitar. I never have to ask what key a song's in (I can sometimes hear it, and be like, "That's G Major", and any other times I just have to watch the rhythm player go through the rhythm once or twice) and I've always use the "appropriate" scale, G Major for a song in G Major, etc., but now I'm getting to the point where I don't really care about the key anymore. I see/hear that the major note is a B, and I'll play all kinds of notes. Last jam session, on a song that goes B5, A5, G5, repeat x2 add an F5, (that would throw off the rhythm in a classical context, but the extra measure sounds cool here), I caught myself playing, the 1, b2, 2, b3, 3, 4, b5, 5, b6, 6, b7, and 7!!! I could say that I started in B Aeolian, then moved to B Phyrgian, to B Locrian, played a little of the Blues scale with a major 3rd grace note, to B Dorian, etc.; that's not the way I think about it. I used to think that way (in terms of scales/modes), but now I just play whatever I think will sound cool.

Is this the total amount of theory? I learned all those scales and crap just to now play in the chromatic scale like a child banging on a piano (although I hope my playing sounds a bit better...)?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
04/09/2002 2:28 am
Welcome to the musical journey, in the end you find out it's not what you play but how you play it. All 12 notes work at any given time over any given chord if there appraoched and resolved correctly.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.