View post (5 Forgotten Greats)

View thread

matonanjin
matonanjin
05/31/2013 4:14 pm
Great article. I thought that I had a pretty good knowledge of guitarists and classic rocks songs. I could always impress my wife and others when a song (classic rock) came on the radio because I could identify it within the first two or three notes.

However, after taking up guitar again after a more than 4 decades of not playing, it became brutally clear how many great guitarists I didn't know about.

I disagree slightly with some of the comments about Alvin Lee only to the extent that I don't think he was that obscure. He is certainly a brilliant guitarist.

Gary Moore is one that I just watched the other night on a rebroadcast of the Fender Stratocaster 50 year anniversary concert. I think it is called Strat Pack. Wow! His cover of "Red House" is unbelievable.

But probably the one that I am most disappointed about not finding out about sooner is Roy Buchanan. The things that he can do with a guitar are shocking. And, as is so often the case, his life ended too early and tragically.

Thanks for this article. I'm confident there are going to be more whose talent I haven't yet discovered.

Guitars: 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody I, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster,  2020 Fender Telecaster, 2001 PRS Santana SE,  2021 Martin M-36, 2021 Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica  Amps: Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10,  Line 6 POD HD500X, Quilter Microblock 45 w/homemade 12" cab.