Any Fender Guitar Tech's out there?

ScottyTooHotty
ScottyTooHotty
04/08/2002 1:13 pm
I had a question about replacing pickups in a Strat. I have a late-90's Deluxe Strat and although I love the sound, I've always owned guitars with at least one humbucker in the bridge position. I noticed that although it's currently three single coil pickups in the guitar, the body looks like it's been cut to hold a humbucker too. So my question is twofold. 1. Does Fender always cut their bodies like that? If so, are there any forseeable problems by replacing the single coil with a humbucker and 2. Does anyone know of any sites that I can pick up a pickguard for a humbucker with two single coils that will fit a Deluxe Strat? Any help will be appreciated.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
04/08/2002 3:38 pm
1. They don't rout every body like that, but probaly quite a few because they have some many models with humbuckers now
2. http://www.warmoth.com , has a good selection of pickguards with all the p/u combinations, most of the part suppliers have them, you could search around and find something really exotic...

Any foreseeable problems, No, not if you are careful, follow the pickup manufacturers directions, and do a good soldering job on your connections, you should be OK, if you have any problems, just post again, but this really is pretty straight forward and should work out fine, have fun!
# 2
James8831
James8831
04/08/2002 5:24 pm
that Seymour Duncan little 59ers should go straight in, as will some other famous maker's single coil sized humbuckers.

http://www.christianmusicweb.com/Guitar_wiring.html

and.. I like the IDEA of what the fella here has done, i just hope it wasn't too expensive!
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/09/2002 1:50 am
Instead of grounding one of the humbucker coils, its much better to select between series or parallel connection. This gives you very similar sound while retaining the noise-cancelling properties of the humbuckers. This can be done with the same hardware.

Also, I'd recommend lining the control chamber with metal foil, and using that for your ground return instead of the wires. This is described very thoroughly at Guitar Nuts.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
ScottyTooHotty
ScottyTooHotty
04/09/2002 1:02 pm
Thanks fella's! I've avoided this part of the guitar for too long, so about time I get my feet wet!
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
# 5
James8831
James8831
04/09/2002 5:34 pm
Originally posted by Lordathestrings

Also, I'd recommend lining the control chamber with metal foil, and using that for your ground return instead of the wires. This is described very thoroughly at Guitar Nuts.

Yes,indeed.

I think i missed his alternative earthing suggestion as i skimmed through the later part of the site the last time.

Cheers.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.