Digital recording ?

2001strat
2001strat
04/07/2002 6:37 pm
Does anyone here know what I would need to digitally record myself and play it back through my PC? I was told to buy cakewalk pro audio and a new soundcard. I was told by a friend thats all I will need. I currently have a Line6 Flextone II XL which is midi capable so I should be able to use cakewalk to grab the MIDI data and then play it back utilizing cakewalks effects...If I am not correct please let me know. Eventually I would like to start building a home studio but, I'm not too sure what type of euipment to buy. I mean for right now I do not need some extravagant setup but, something OK. So I was going to use Cakewalk, maybe the new Pro Tools Mbox, and possiby buy a new soundcard (Soundblaster platinum). Please any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. All together for everything my price range is about $2,700. I plan on utilizing my current PC and my flextone everything else I plan on purchasing.

Thanx in advance...
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
04/08/2002 12:42 pm
Hmm, okay, for 2700bucks you can do quite a bit. :)

Here's what I would do(though I'm not sure if it fits within yer budget), I would first make sure the computer has a lot of processing power, and a lot of ram memory. Secondly, I would get a second harddrive, a fast one, that'll be used only for audio. Other things I'd get are the Digidesign Digi 001 package, a nice pre-amp, and some reasonably priced active monitors.

God I wish I had money, lol.

Anyway, if you wanna do some decent recording, don't get the soundblaster! I know a lot of people use those, but there is better stuff out there, for the same price, or maybe just a little bit more.
# 2
2001strat
2001strat
04/09/2002 2:47 am
I was actually thinking about getting the Digidesign Digi 001 package myself from guitar center. They have it on sale for $799. I was also going to invest in a Dual 550 Apple G4 with like 512MB RAM.(I work with computers so I get this stuff cheap). Anyhow after a sound card and a good monitor (comes with the G4) is there anything else? When you say preamp do you mean a guitar preamp (triaxis, VHT Valvulator, JMP1, etc...)? The digi 001 is a rack unit soit could fit right into the current rack setup I use. Along with all my cisco routers & switches...LOL

# 3
trendkillah
trendkillah
04/09/2002 12:39 pm
Hmmm, G4 uh? You got me drooling now, lol. ;)
Btw, if you get the digi 001 package, you wont need another soundcard, cause it is one.
With pre-amp, I mean a mic/line pre-amp. So you can also record vocals or mic up your amp. And if the pre-amp has an instrument input, you could just plug in directly, and use AmpFarm to get your guitarsound.(is basically the software version of the line6 POD)
You say you get monitors with the G4? Hmm, I bet those are just computer speakers, wish I wouldn't use for monitoring recordings really. I have no clue about monitors though, so I can't recommend you anything in that department.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.