Feedback on lesson progress system?

Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/11/2012 8:47 pm
We have had the lesson progress system in place for a couple of weeks. I see that people are using it pretty regularly.

Anybody have any comments about the way we set it up?

thanks in advance,

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Carmine M
Carmine M
06/11/2012 8:55 pm
Jon
I would prefer if I can adjust by myself the % of "my progress". However this is a very minor thing, I just enjoy the great lessons.

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/14/2012 4:44 am
Anybody else have comments?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
adir olf
adir olf
06/16/2012 4:09 pm
I like what you have done. it works for me. If I were to be picky I would like to see a page I could click to that lists the lessons I've been in, followed by a column with the % progress (monitored by GT), then a column for "done" for me to click if I want to mark it done.

maybe the page could be located under the account section or something like the history or bookmarks tabs.

but remember, I"m just adding comments that are "picky", I really like the progress bar and done button

P.S....
can you guys get some t-shirts made to sell? I'd like the GT pick on the front in the corner of the shirt (like by the shoulder area) and then on the back put D. Showalters saying: "Stay a Fan"
That is what I'd like to buy :) of course in different t-shirt styles/colors

P.S.S... I just realized there are red picks for the lessons you see in a section and the lesson you left off on is red. that is really awesome for reminding me where I've been when I leave for other lessons.
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 4
treeder
treeder
06/17/2012 11:07 am
Where is this page located? I can't find it anywhere on the site. Also, I like the t-shirt idea. Rock On!
# 5
JJ90
JJ90
06/20/2012 7:26 pm
Hey Jon,

I decided to go Full Access after all and have some comments on this progress bar.

First of all I agree with almost everything adir olf has to say, and I would like to add my own suggestions with it.

My suggestion would be to combine it with the bookmarking thing and make it into a "progress overview" (eventually ereasing the bookmarking, making this progress overview replacing the bookmarking) that you can manually maintain. So you can add lessons to this page and slide the progress bar yourself, not GT doing it for you. It would also be nice to have a small field where you can add some notes for yourself as a reminder. For example the Hotel California lesson is huge and I would be able to add a note: Return at video 5 at 4:25 in the video. Those sort of things.

But it would be awesome on the overview page if I can look which lessons I'm currently working on (which I currently can't except when I visit the lesson). Perhaps even archive a lesson which you most likely won't visit anymore so you can keep the overview nice and clean, but still have marked lessons as done.

This way I think everyone will get a much better idea what they still need to work on without getting confused. And I'm sorry to say so, but I got this idea from your main competitors (not going to say their name). They've also got this integrated the way I describe it here and it works brilliantly.

Hopefully GT can take this into consideration.

Thanks,
JJ
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/20/2012 7:47 pm
Thanks very much for the comments.

We'll take it step by step. Next up: we'll make the page with all the data on it. This is a matter of some discussion around here, people have lots of ideas about what goes on that page. So, give it a few weeks as we sort it out.

Meanwhile:

The button to mark "I'm done" exists already.
Someone asked elsewhere, can I mark it undone? Yes.

For the future:

I like the progress notes idea. We should have thought of that.

I see one of you likes progress set by GT two of you like progress set yourself. I guess we'll wait to see what other comments we get on that.

Overall, a great start I think. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know when there are updates.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
adir olf
adir olf
06/20/2012 10:48 pm
Yeah but.... how about that t-shirt idea??? is that a possibility????

:)
Adir olf
# 8
firecatuk
firecatuk
06/21/2012 12:35 am
There are some good ideas here, but personally I like being able to see where I'm at with a glance.

However if you miss click a lesson and then go back out of it it marks it as done (with the pick icon) so there needs to be a way for us to unmark things manually.
# 9
brenoazzi
brenoazzi
06/21/2012 1:12 am
Since i've become a full access member, GT is alaways getting better and better.

Its new structure in the songs and lessons section, besides the progression and done bar turns the site even better than it was before.
:) Azzi.

Be kool and stay free.
# 10
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
06/21/2012 7:09 pm
We did create some T-shirts and I believe you can still order them here:
http://www.cafepress.com/guitartricks

What style would you like to see?
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 11
adir olf
adir olf
06/28/2012 3:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Neal WalterWe did create some T-shirts and I believe you can still order them here:
http://www.cafepress.com/guitartricks

What style would you like to see?

Hi Neil. thanks for asking....

here are some styles that would be good...
from the cafepress.com site - Custom Women's V-Neck T-Shirt (dark or white), Custom Women's T-Shirt (dark, white or light), Custom Women's Long Sleeve T-Shirt (Dark or White), Custom Jr. Raglan (style like a baseball shirt)... and even maybe the women's plus size styles cuz the fact is, a "large" t-shirt in some styles is like big enough for a flat chested 12 year old :)
BUTTTTTT...
spreadshirt.com has similar options and I think they might be less expensive but I don't know how price would change after printing your design and such..

my design request is the GT stuff on the front and "stay a fan" on the back (something D. Showalter said in a thread once). I want to wear my t-shirt to shows :)

thanks and let me know if you guys might make some girl style t-shirts!!
otherwise I'll make my own :)
Adir olf
# 12
Neal Walter
Neal Walter
06/29/2012 10:55 pm
Hey Adir,

You are very specific, that helps! FYI, the T-shirts aren't something on our immediate radar as we're focused on content and song lessons. It would be fun, but we'd have to take time away from something else to do it. Personally, I'm curious and I like to know what people want.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 13
adir olf
adir olf
07/02/2012 1:27 am
Okay thanks! just put it on the list and get to it as soon as you can :) :)
Adir olf
# 14
breakinbadly
breakinbadly
07/17/2012 7:27 am
I would like to practice more and repeat some of my lessons, this way I cannot play them again, also the flash player will not work for me to view the lessons anyway have downloaded several times and it won't work at all I feel as though i am being cheated out of my subscriptiom I paid for
# 15
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/17/2012 6:25 pm
Originally Posted by: breakinbadlyI would like to practice more and repeat some of my lessons, this way I cannot play them again, also the flash player will not work for me to view the lessons anyway have downloaded several times and it won't work at all I feel as though i am being cheated out of my subscriptiom I paid for

Hi, I am confused by your comments.

The new system doesn't prevent you from repeating a lesson. You just click on the title and watch it again, no problem. Are you having a different experience?

If you download the videos, they work in windows media player or quicktime, we no longer use a flash video player for downloads.

Does that info help? If not, please describe what you are seeing a little more and we'll try to figure it out.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 16
jbazley
jbazley
07/19/2012 5:56 pm
Hi there!

I had been away from Guitar Tricks for a little while and coming back to see the new progress bar is a welcome treat! I appreciate on the Table of Contents page (i.e. on the Fundamentals 2) how you can see at a glance the % complete of each lesson.

Is there talk of expanding that to the different style master lists (i.e. Acoustic master list) and the songs? That would provide at a glance the lessons I have already completed in my style and other ones that may be new and I want to check out.

Keep up the good work!
# 17
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/19/2012 6:10 pm
Originally Posted by: jbazleyHi there!

I had been away from Guitar Tricks for a little while and coming back to see the new progress bar is a welcome treat! I appreciate on the Table of Contents page (i.e. on the Fundamentals 2) how you can see at a glance the % complete of each lesson.

Is there talk of expanding that to the different style master lists (i.e. Acoustic master list) and the songs? That would provide at a glance the lessons I have already completed in my style and other ones that may be new and I want to check out.

Keep up the good work!

Funny, we never thought of adding it to master list and songs page. We are working on a new page with "all my progress" on it, so stay tuned for that. And thanks for the idea.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.