View post (Cheap vs. Expensive Guitars: Four Common Misconceptions)

View thread

jakerpelman
jakerpelman
07/20/2015 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTI think a beginner (perhaps any level player) can be well served exactly by following the herd, i.e., buying a make/model that has a reputation for good sound and good quality. "Buy the most you can afford" is an old strategy that works for those starting out and one that often leads to makes and models that are either expensive or have a reputation for good sound for the bucks or both. And it's not a bad method for a newbie (or parents of a newbie) to follow.

I'm not sure I agree, at least not completely. I started two years ago with a $50 Chinese guitar that I picked up and couldn't put down. That guitar spoke to me. After two years and trying plenty of "better" guitars in stores (and buying a few), my Chinese guitar is still my favorite. It just feels good in my hands, likes my fingers, and I like the way it sounds.

Even for beginners, if it feels good and sounds good in your own hands, I don't think price matters all that much. Obviously, that only goes to a point. With ten years under my belt I might feel quite differently.