View post (Cheap vs. Expensive Guitars: Four Common Misconceptions)

View thread

stringbender.wes
stringbender.wes
11/21/2014 7:03 pm
When I was younger I discovered that the alternator for a Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Cadillac were all identical. The only difference was the part numbers and the prices.
When I was 15 I went to a music store with my Dad to buy a guitar. I had the choice of Gibson, Gretsch, Fender, VOX and a couple others I don't remember. I tried them all and decided on the VOX 241 Bulldog. I liked the way it felt in my hands better than the others. I thought I was going to get a Gibson or a Gretsch and financially it may have been a mistake. But now, almost 50 years later I still have my VOX and don't regret the choice. It was about the same price as the big names and more guitar than I needed at the time.
When I moved to Brazil I stopped by some music shops. I had a typical American attitude. I didn't recognize most of the brands and thought they were junk. The American brands I saw were the Mexican imports and very expensive, but also considered junk. If you travel or move to another country don't expect to find the brands you know. Each country has instrument manufacturers that have been in business a very long time and produce quality instruments. Now, a few years later I look for quality and low price. I've bought Memphis (Tagima) and Giannini Strats. They are identical and I think came out of the same factory (probably China). They both play well and sound great. I've also purchased a Cort bass PJ bass and it also plays and sounds good. I've paid under R$400 ($160us) for each of them new. Another advantage of buying a good used or new, inexpensive guitar is you're not afraid to try do work on them yourself. You get to learn how to do the repairs if they need it or just minor adjustments. It's really not difficult and there's plenty of good advice on the internet to help you. I should mention I am referring to solid body electric guitars. Hollow body and guitars such as Les Paul models with set necks can have problems that only an experienced luthier can take care of.